Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Will Hennessey Trade With Me?

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3, 2006
      Personally, I think lighter is better, so I would go with the lighter
      hammock.

      On 7/3/06, Brian Lewis <brianle@...> wrote:

      > "This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable
      > hammock at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz
      > foam pad. A decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad."
      >
      > A couple of additional observations about a Hennesy Hammock. I just
      > got back from an overnight hike --- btw, with a fellow hammock camper
      > that I met via this list! We were both initally leery lest the other
      > one turn out to be an axe murderer ... <grin>. He was great, however,
      > and it was helpful to learn from someone who's been doing this.
      >
      > Like me, this guy also has a Hennessy Backpacker A-Sym, though his is
      > from a few years ago (3 I think?). We set these up close to each
      > other, and both of us tried crawling into the other persons hammock.
      > To both of us it looked as if his is roomier inside than mine, and
      > longer. The Backpacker A-Sym is supposed to be for a person up to
      > 6' tall. I'm 5'10" on a particularly tall day, and he's about an inch
      > shorter, but a possibility is that my hammock is nevertheless on the
      > short side of what it should be for me (??). So perhaps mine was
      > made a little smaller than it should have been, or perhaps in recent
      > years they've been making them a little smaller, or both myself and
      > this other Hennesy owner were fooled, or ... space aliens. You can
      > never discount the possibility that space aliens are involved (keep
      > that tin foil completely covering your cranium at all times).
      >
      > I suppose I could consider switching to an HH Explorer Deluxe
      > (especially if I could convince my wife that she really needs a
      > hammock tent <grin>), but it's surprisingly heavier at 52 oz rather
      > than 31 oz. According to the specs this adds 8" of length. But wait,
      > there's also an Explorer Ultralight, that's just 39 oz and is the same
      > price as the Explorer Deluxe.
      >
      > Maybe someone else can comment as to whether a "near to" 6' person
      > should go with an Explorer versus a Backpacker. Based on my limited
      > experience and this ~side-by-side comparison I might consider doing
      > that if I were to start over.
      >
      > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
      > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
      > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
      > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything like
      > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !
      >
      > One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for such a
      > list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep webbing/strapping
      > in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
      > your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers know
      > very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.
      >
      > Brian

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2006
        Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions might
        be helpful...

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
        wrote:
        > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
        > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
        > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all
        the
        > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything
        like
        > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !
        >
        > One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for
        such a
        > list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep
        webbing/strapping
        > in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
        > your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers
        know
        > very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.
        >

        > Brian

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
          wrote:

          > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
          > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
          > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
          > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything
          like
          > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !

          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm is a good start.
        • jonas4321
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
            <zippydooda@...> wrote:

            > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions might
            > be helpful...

            I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read thusly-

            Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
            A: "Try for yourself."

            Q: "How much sag is required?"
            A: "Try for yourself."

            Q: "What will keep me warm?"
            A: "Try for yourself."

            <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.

            Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!

            Jonas
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
              Heh heh, exactly. That is what I am trying to avoid. Make the
              effort one time to put down 10 or 20 newbie tips and links.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
              > <zippydooda@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions
              might
              > > be helpful...
              >
              > I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read
              thusly-

              > Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
              > A: "Try for yourself."
              >
              > Q: "How much sag is required?"
              > A: "Try for yourself."
              >
              > Q: "What will keep me warm?"
              > A: "Try for yourself."

              > <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.
              >
              > Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!
              >
              > Jonas

            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really helps anyone
                though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                =

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Ed Speer's book on Hammock Camping is a great place to start.

                  Youngblood

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                    That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                    though.

                    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

                    I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                    start.

                    Jeff
                  • Scott Macri
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                      Nice work.

                      I actually read that site before. It has been a while so I am going to
                      re-read it.

                      On 7/4/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                      > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                      > though.
                      >
                      > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                      >
                      > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                      > start.
                      >
                      > Jeff

                    • jonas4321
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                        helps anyone
                        > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                        Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                        half-joke.

                        For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                        article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                        fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                        when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).

                        I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                        archives and read everything I could.

                        THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                        and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                        later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                        others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                        equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.

                        My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                        that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                        you need them to be comfortable in the woods.

                        You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                        advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                        have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                        what I felt was most valuable to me.

                        So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                        still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                        most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                        one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.

                        That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
                      • Dick Matthews
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                          It took three nights in the hammock to "get it" and become more
                          comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first
                          use. Some people will never find the comfort that we enjoy.

                          The results of a survey on number of uses to comfort would be useful.
                          My guess is that it would be a classic bell shaped curve.

                          Dick Matthews

                          jonas4321 wrote:

                          >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                          >wrote:
                          >

                          >>I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                          >>

                          >helps anyone
                          >

                          >>though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.
                          >>

                          >Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                          >half-joke.
                          >
                          >For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                          >article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                          >fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                          >when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).
                          >
                          >I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                          >archives and read everything I could.
                          >
                          >THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                          >and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                          >later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                          >others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                          >equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.
                          >
                          >My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                          >that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                          >you need them to be comfortable in the woods.
                          >
                          >You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                          >advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                          >have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                          >what I felt was most valuable to me.
                          >
                          >So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                          >still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                          >most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                          >one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.
                          >
                          >That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.

                        • Scott
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                            Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                            is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info
                            and has given me ideas for things I'd never thought about!

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                              wrote:
                              >...Hammock camping is the most personalized, custom activity I have
                              > ever encountered...

                              I've never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that
                              is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love
                              another person may not like at all and vice versa.

                              Dave
                            • Bill in Houston
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical
                                questions "What kind of hammock should I buy?" and "How will I know if
                                I will like it?"

                                Bill in Houston

                                > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                                > though.
                                >
                                > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                                >
                                > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                                > start.
                                >
                                > Jeff

                              • Mark Bayern
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  "How will I know if I will like it?"

                                  When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights
                                  sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain water...

                                • Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                                    > Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                                    > is there a second part somewhere else?

                                    Haha - no. I wasn't even thinking about the questions on the first
                                    page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads,
                                    underquilts, tarps, bivies, site selection, storage, etc). Forgot I
                                    had even framed the front page as questions!
                                  • jonas4321
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 6, 2006

                                      > I've never thought of it that way

                                      Uh, oh.

                                      *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of?

                                      Either I'll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the
                                      devil, or someone else is about to return!

                                      <grin>

                                      Sorry, Dave, it's just that I have learned SO much for your posts over
                                      the years, it was a surprise to read that. You made my day!

                                      Jonas

                                      ps- I still feel like a newbie...