Re: Catenary Modification

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
      I use about 1 inch of sag per linear foot tarp. Somer of the *Real*
      tarp builders have a formula and all that. I used their stuff and just
      rounded to the nearest inch. So for a 10 foot tarp you would have a 10
      inch sag right in the middle (at 5 feet) and then taper out to the
      ends. It has worked well for my tarps so far.

      Also, you can use a 5 foot wall and either fold the tarp in half or
      just do one side at a time. It may be hard to find ten feet of clear
      wall.

      Rat

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm thinking of modifying my tarp. I have an 10 x 10 A-frame tarp; I
      > want to add a curve to the parallel side to help decrease sag. How do
      > I go about making a mod like that?

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
        If you ever modify the ridgeline, you would use waaaayyyyy less curve
        on it. I would use 2" on the ridgeline, if any.

        Bill in Houston

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
          I used half the sag in my ridgeline on my last tarp, 5 inches over
          10 feet instead of 10 inches over 10 feet. I used 10 on my first
          tarp but it really cut into the headroom, so I halved(?) it on my
          last one. I can get a much more stable set up with the full cat cut
          but the half works for a very taught pitch as well. Better than not
          having one but not as good as the full cat either. It really makes a
          difference in the headroom tho and the tarp tensioners do a great
          job of sucking up the slack.

          Rat