Re: Catenary Modification

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
      Find a 10' wall and hang the side of the tarp on it. Attach a heavy
      flexible rope to each corner. Let it sag until you like the amount of
      curve, then mark it along the length. Cut and hem.

      If you search for it, there are several other methods and some
      recommendations on how much curve you need. And in the Files section
      of this group there's a Catenary Curve generator.

      Jeff
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        I use about 1 inch of sag per linear foot tarp. Somer of the *Real*
        tarp builders have a formula and all that. I used their stuff and just
        rounded to the nearest inch. So for a 10 foot tarp you would have a 10
        inch sag right in the middle (at 5 feet) and then taper out to the
        ends. It has worked well for my tarps so far.

        Also, you can use a 5 foot wall and either fold the tarp in half or
        just do one side at a time. It may be hard to find ten feet of clear
        wall.

        Rat

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm thinking of modifying my tarp. I have an 10 x 10 A-frame tarp; I
        > want to add a curve to the parallel side to help decrease sag. How do
        > I go about making a mod like that?

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
          If you ever modify the ridgeline, you would use waaaayyyyy less curve
          on it. I would use 2" on the ridgeline, if any.

          Bill in Houston

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
            I used half the sag in my ridgeline on my last tarp, 5 inches over
            10 feet instead of 10 inches over 10 feet. I used 10 on my first
            tarp but it really cut into the headroom, so I halved(?) it on my
            last one. I can get a much more stable set up with the full cat cut
            but the half works for a very taught pitch as well. Better than not
            having one but not as good as the full cat either. It really makes a
            difference in the headroom tho and the tarp tensioners do a great
            job of sucking up the slack.

            Rat