Catenary Modification

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
      I'm thinking of modifying my tarp. I have an 10 x 10 A-frame tarp; I
      want to add a curve to the parallel side to help decrease sag. How do
      I go about making a mod like that?
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        Find a 10' wall and hang the side of the tarp on it. Attach a heavy
        flexible rope to each corner. Let it sag until you like the amount of
        curve, then mark it along the length. Cut and hem.

        If you search for it, there are several other methods and some
        recommendations on how much curve you need. And in the Files section
        of this group there's a Catenary Curve generator.

        Jeff
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
          I use about 1 inch of sag per linear foot tarp. Somer of the *Real*
          tarp builders have a formula and all that. I used their stuff and just
          rounded to the nearest inch. So for a 10 foot tarp you would have a 10
          inch sag right in the middle (at 5 feet) and then taper out to the
          ends. It has worked well for my tarps so far.

          Also, you can use a 5 foot wall and either fold the tarp in half or
          just do one side at a time. It may be hard to find ten feet of clear
          wall.

          Rat

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm thinking of modifying my tarp. I have an 10 x 10 A-frame tarp; I
          > want to add a curve to the parallel side to help decrease sag. How do
          > I go about making a mod like that?

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
            If you ever modify the ridgeline, you would use waaaayyyyy less curve
            on it. I would use 2" on the ridgeline, if any.

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
              I used half the sag in my ridgeline on my last tarp, 5 inches over
              10 feet instead of 10 inches over 10 feet. I used 10 on my first
              tarp but it really cut into the headroom, so I halved(?) it on my
              last one. I can get a much more stable set up with the full cat cut
              but the half works for a very taught pitch as well. Better than not
              having one but not as good as the full cat either. It really makes a
              difference in the headroom tho and the tarp tensioners do a great
              job of sucking up the slack.

              Rat