summer quilt

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
      OK, here is the thoughts I have going through my head right now.

      I was checking out the JacksRBetter Shenandoah
      quilt<http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Quilt%2520Comparison.htm>,
      which is rated at 40* F; this is made out of down. The other option is the
      *PG Delta 30 Deg Sleeping Quilt* <http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page6.html>,
      which is synthetic, but gives me a little more warmth for the colder
      months. I can also customize the Delta to my height, which will reduce the
      weight a bit.

      If I go with the Shenandoah quilt I can use my mummy bag during the colder
      months.

      What are your thoughts on this polarguard synthetic material and is it worth
      the cost? How does it compare to down in these quilts?

      I like the idea of a light quilt, with a bit more warmth, and prevents me
      from having to take my big heavy sleeping bag.

      I do most of my backpacking in Shenandoah National
      Park<http://www.shenandoah.national-park.com/weather.htm>from about
      April to Nov. Here is the link for the ave temps in that area:
      http://www.shenandoah.national-park.com/weather.htm - don't forget to
      subtract 10* from the temp in the chart because the temps are for the
      valley.

      Thanks.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      www.HikeHaven.com

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        Here are the thoughts in my head. Seems like the shenandoah would
        probably pack down to about half the size of the 30 deg synth quilt.
        Is that something that is important to you. It also seems that the
        weights would be pretty different...

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          I ended up with the Nest instead. It only weighs 20oz. and goes to 20*F.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
            It looks like some ooooold posts just got through Yahoo...

            <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > I ended up with the Nest instead. It only weighs 20oz. and goes
            to 20*F.

            > On 7/3/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Here are the thoughts in my head. Seems like the shenandoah
            would
            > > probably pack down to about half the size of the 30 deg synth
            quilt.
            > > Is that something that is important to you. It also seems that
            the
            > > weights would be pretty different...
            > >
            > > Bill in Houston
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%
            40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > OK, here is the thoughts I have going through my head right
            now.

          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
              Yep, I posted that message on 7/3/06. I don't know why it just went
              through. I have had this problem with other groups as well and have
              recently contacted Yahoo support, but have not heard back from them.

              On 7/3/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

              > It looks like some ooooold posts just got through Yahoo...
              >

              > Bill in Houston

              > "Scott Macri"
              > <hacktorious@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I ended up with the Nest instead. It only weighs 20oz. and goes
              > to 20*F.
              > >
              > > On 7/3/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Here are the thoughts in my head. Seems like the shenandoah
              > would
              > > > probably pack down to about half the size of the 30 deg synth
              > quilt.
              > > > Is that something that is important to you. It also seems that
              > the
              > > > weights would be pretty different...
              > > >
              > > > Bill in Houston
              > > >
              > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com<hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com><hammockcamping%
              > 40yahoogroups.com>,

              > now.

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
                On 7/3/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > Yep, I posted that message on 7/3/06. I don't know why it just went
                > through. I have had this problem with other groups as well and have
                > recently contacted Yahoo support, but have not heard back from them.

                As a relatively new member you may still be moderated (all emails approved
                by owner or moderator, a common list practice to fight spammers). To the
                casual and suspicious list moderator your gmail account name looks suspect,
                until they get to know you better. :]

                You may wish to contact the list owner for clarification.

                Ralph (Moderator elsewhere)

              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
                  It happens on my Yahoo Group, PATC, which I own and moderate. Something is
                  messed up with my account. I had a problem for a while, which prevented me
                  from being able to send messages to the list, but Yahoo Support fixed it.
                  My spam filter was disabled at the time too.

                  Well, any hoooo, the Nest is great. I have not had a chance to use it on a
                  trip yet. I am planning several trips and cannot wait to try it out in the
                  wild.

                  The nest packs very small, and is way lighter than my previous sleeping bag,
                  which, by the way is for sale. LOL