Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Will Hennessey Trade With Me?

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
      This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable hammock
      at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz foam pad. A
      decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad.

      I can save a great deal of weight if I drop my sleeping bag and try a quilt,
      space blanket and liner setup. Of course I will likely have my pad too.
      20oz+5oz+2oz = 1lb 11 oz. My Sleeping bag is about 3.5lbs., so I still save
      just under 2.5lbs.

      Going from about 6lbs to 4.5lbs is still a great loss in weight.

      I would expect the ultralite is made out of ripstop too. Not sure if you
      left that out by accident, or it really isn't ripstop.

      I am not sure if the material used for the ultralite is a real concern. I
      wonder what the tear strength is. I got a GoLite speed bag and the material
      has a tear strenth of about 12lbs. It is very thin material.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      www.HikeHaven.com

    • Brian Lewis
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3 5:13 PM
        "This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable
        hammock at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz
        foam pad. A decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad."

        A couple of additional observations about a Hennesy Hammock. I just
        got back from an overnight hike --- btw, with a fellow hammock camper
        that I met via this list! We were both initally leery lest the other
        one turn out to be an axe murderer ... <grin>. He was great, however,
        and it was helpful to learn from someone who's been doing this.

        Like me, this guy also has a Hennessy Backpacker A-Sym, though his is
        from a few years ago (3 I think?). We set these up close to each
        other, and both of us tried crawling into the other persons hammock.
        To both of us it looked as if his is roomier inside than mine, and
        longer. The Backpacker A-Sym is supposed to be for a person up to
        6' tall. I'm 5'10" on a particularly tall day, and he's about an inch
        shorter, but a possibility is that my hammock is nevertheless on the
        short side of what it should be for me (??). So perhaps mine was
        made a little smaller than it should have been, or perhaps in recent
        years they've been making them a little smaller, or both myself and
        this other Hennesy owner were fooled, or ... space aliens. You can
        never discount the possibility that space aliens are involved (keep
        that tin foil completely covering your cranium at all times).

        I suppose I could consider switching to an HH Explorer Deluxe
        (especially if I could convince my wife that she really needs a
        hammock tent <grin>), but it's surprisingly heavier at 52 oz rather
        than 31 oz. According to the specs this adds 8" of length. But wait,
        there's also an Explorer Ultralight, that's just 39 oz and is the same
        price as the Explorer Deluxe.

        Maybe someone else can comment as to whether a "near to" 6' person
        should go with an Explorer versus a Backpacker. Based on my limited
        experience and this ~side-by-side comparison I might consider doing
        that if I were to start over.

        Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
        thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
        people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
        files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything like
        that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !

        One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for such a
        list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep webbing/strapping
        in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
        your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers know
        very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.

        Brian
      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3 7:48 PM
          Personally, I think lighter is better, so I would go with the lighter
          hammock.

          On 7/3/06, Brian Lewis <brianle@...> wrote:

          > "This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable
          > hammock at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz
          > foam pad. A decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad."
          >
          > A couple of additional observations about a Hennesy Hammock. I just
          > got back from an overnight hike --- btw, with a fellow hammock camper
          > that I met via this list! We were both initally leery lest the other
          > one turn out to be an axe murderer ... <grin>. He was great, however,
          > and it was helpful to learn from someone who's been doing this.
          >
          > Like me, this guy also has a Hennessy Backpacker A-Sym, though his is
          > from a few years ago (3 I think?). We set these up close to each
          > other, and both of us tried crawling into the other persons hammock.
          > To both of us it looked as if his is roomier inside than mine, and
          > longer. The Backpacker A-Sym is supposed to be for a person up to
          > 6' tall. I'm 5'10" on a particularly tall day, and he's about an inch
          > shorter, but a possibility is that my hammock is nevertheless on the
          > short side of what it should be for me (??). So perhaps mine was
          > made a little smaller than it should have been, or perhaps in recent
          > years they've been making them a little smaller, or both myself and
          > this other Hennesy owner were fooled, or ... space aliens. You can
          > never discount the possibility that space aliens are involved (keep
          > that tin foil completely covering your cranium at all times).
          >
          > I suppose I could consider switching to an HH Explorer Deluxe
          > (especially if I could convince my wife that she really needs a
          > hammock tent <grin>), but it's surprisingly heavier at 52 oz rather
          > than 31 oz. According to the specs this adds 8" of length. But wait,
          > there's also an Explorer Ultralight, that's just 39 oz and is the same
          > price as the Explorer Deluxe.
          >
          > Maybe someone else can comment as to whether a "near to" 6' person
          > should go with an Explorer versus a Backpacker. Based on my limited
          > experience and this ~side-by-side comparison I might consider doing
          > that if I were to start over.
          >
          > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
          > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
          > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
          > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything like
          > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !
          >
          > One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for such a
          > list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep webbing/strapping
          > in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
          > your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers know
          > very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.
          >
          > Brian

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3 8:34 PM
            Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions might
            be helpful...

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
            wrote:
            > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
            > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
            > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all
            the
            > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything
            like
            > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !
            >
            > One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for
            such a
            > list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep
            webbing/strapping
            > in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
            > your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers
            know
            > very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.
            >

            > Brian

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4 1:51 AM
              wrote:

              > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
              > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
              > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
              > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything
              like
              > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !

              http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm is a good start.
            • jonas4321
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4 5:41 AM
                <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions might
                > be helpful...

                I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read thusly-

                Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
                A: "Try for yourself."

                Q: "How much sag is required?"
                A: "Try for yourself."

                Q: "What will keep me warm?"
                A: "Try for yourself."

                <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.

                Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!

                Jonas
              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4 7:34 AM
                  Heh heh, exactly. That is what I am trying to avoid. Make the
                  effort one time to put down 10 or 20 newbie tips and links.

                  Bill in Houston

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                  > <zippydooda@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions
                  might
                  > > be helpful...
                  >
                  > I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read
                  thusly-

                  > Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
                  > A: "Try for yourself."
                  >
                  > Q: "How much sag is required?"
                  > A: "Try for yourself."
                  >
                  > Q: "What will keep me warm?"
                  > A: "Try for yourself."

                  > <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.
                  >
                  > Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!
                  >
                  > Jonas

                • Scott Macri
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4 10:27 AM
                    I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really helps anyone
                    though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                    =

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4 1:34 PM
                      Ed Speer's book on Hammock Camping is a great place to start.

                      Youngblood

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4 1:57 PM
                        That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                        though.

                        http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

                        I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                        start.

                        Jeff
                      • Scott Macri
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4 3:37 PM
                          Nice work.

                          I actually read that site before. It has been a while so I am going to
                          re-read it.

                          On 7/4/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                          > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                          > though.
                          >
                          > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                          >
                          > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                          > start.
                          >
                          > Jeff

                        • jonas4321
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 5 6:44 AM
                            wrote:

                            > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                            helps anyone
                            > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                            Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                            half-joke.

                            For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                            article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                            fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                            when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).

                            I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                            archives and read everything I could.

                            THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                            and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                            later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                            others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                            equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.

                            My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                            that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                            you need them to be comfortable in the woods.

                            You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                            advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                            have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                            what I felt was most valuable to me.

                            So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                            still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                            most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                            one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.

                            That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
                          • Dick Matthews
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 5 7:01 AM
                              It took three nights in the hammock to "get it" and become more
                              comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first
                              use. Some people will never find the comfort that we enjoy.

                              The results of a survey on number of uses to comfort would be useful.
                              My guess is that it would be a classic bell shaped curve.

                              Dick Matthews

                              jonas4321 wrote:

                              >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                              >wrote:
                              >

                              >>I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                              >>

                              >helps anyone
                              >

                              >>though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.
                              >>

                              >Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                              >half-joke.
                              >
                              >For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                              >article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                              >fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                              >when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).
                              >
                              >I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                              >archives and read everything I could.
                              >
                              >THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                              >and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                              >later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                              >others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                              >equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.
                              >
                              >My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                              >that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                              >you need them to be comfortable in the woods.
                              >
                              >You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                              >advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                              >have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                              >what I felt was most valuable to me.
                              >
                              >So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                              >still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                              >most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                              >one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.
                              >
                              >That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.

                            • Scott
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 5 7:39 AM
                                Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                                is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info
                                and has given me ideas for things I'd never thought about!

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5 7:44 AM
                                  wrote:
                                  >...Hammock camping is the most personalized, custom activity I have
                                  > ever encountered...

                                  I've never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that
                                  is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love
                                  another person may not like at all and vice versa.

                                  Dave
                                • Bill in Houston
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5 8:37 AM
                                    Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical
                                    questions "What kind of hammock should I buy?" and "How will I know if
                                    I will like it?"

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                                    > though.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                                    >
                                    > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                                    > start.
                                    >
                                    > Jeff

                                  • Mark Bayern
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 5 9:09 AM
                                      "How will I know if I will like it?"

                                      When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights
                                      sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain water...

                                    • Jeff
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 5 11:06 AM
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                                        > Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                                        > is there a second part somewhere else?

                                        Haha - no. I wasn't even thinking about the questions on the first
                                        page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads,
                                        underquilts, tarps, bivies, site selection, storage, etc). Forgot I
                                        had even framed the front page as questions!
                                      • jonas4321
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 6 7:35 AM

                                          > I've never thought of it that way

                                          Uh, oh.

                                          *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of?

                                          Either I'll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the
                                          devil, or someone else is about to return!

                                          <grin>

                                          Sorry, Dave, it's just that I have learned SO much for your posts over
                                          the years, it was a surprise to read that. You made my day!

                                          Jonas

                                          ps- I still feel like a newbie...