Re: [Hammock Camping] back still sore

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
      How tight do you have your hammock? I like mine fairly tight so it lays
      flatter.

      http://360.yahoo.com/snaresman

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
        Wow, that is up really high on your back. I was imagining it being
        lower, where mine hurts when I sleep on the ground. :-)

        You know, you might actually benefit from something like a spreader
        bar, so that you can lie on your back with very little squeeze on your
        shoulders. Or a stiff pad, maybe a ccf pad reinforced with thin
        fiberglass rods or something like that. Or depending on the size,
        shape, and stiffness of your pack, you might be able to use it to lie
        on and spread things out?

        For something to stuff under you like Jeff said, if you already carry a
        large platy or the bag from a wine box, that might work when blown up
        with air.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
        wrote:
        > Among the exercises I'm doing includes one where I lay face down on a
        > table and sort of hunch my shoulders upwards while holding weights ---
        > that gets right to the same part of the back I'm sore in from the
        > hammock --- but I wouldn't jump to assume causality there (I just
        >
        > To Bill: While I sleep on my side sometimes, I just can't do that
        > comfortably all night. It's sleeping on my back that causes this. I
        > don't see how putting something under my knees would help --- my sense
        > is that would effect the lower back, but it's right between the
        > shoulder blades that I'm sore.
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
          Brian, sounds to me like shoulder pinch is your primary problem. I
          don't thing putting something *under* you will help all that much.
          You need to stretch the hammock away from your shoulders.

          One way would be to get an extra stiff CCF pad that is wider than
          your shoulders and use it as a kinda spreader platform to keep the
          hammock from scrunching your shoulders up.

          Also, as you mentioned, your upper body may be a little longer
          causing your center of gravity to be different than ours. I'm not
          really sure how this would relate to your upper/middle back but it
          may. Try hanging the hammock at different angles (foot end
          higher/lower) to see if it changes anything.

          I built my summer hammock 11 feet long and this really helped end
          the shoulder pinch. I can have a lot more sag and not have my feet
          falling off the end. I lie more on the diagonal and that allows more
          room for my shoulders. The difference is so good I may build all of
          my hammocks this length. The only drawback is the extra weight,
          which is why I tried it with my summer hammock first. The winter
          hammock doesn't have as much pinch due to the CCF pads I use, but it
          is still more than the new summer hammock.

          Try a small pillow, or stuff sack filled with clothes. I use a small
          travel pillow cut in half, about the size of a paperback book. If I
          don't I get a small pain between my shoulder blades but up high,
          kinda between my lower neck and the middle of my shoulder blades.
          The pillow makes it go away.

          Just a couple of things I noticed when I first started building
          hammocks. I get more shoulder pinch when I pull the sides during
          whipping, I leave 'em slack now. Mor sag is better, to a point, and
          my non-ridgeline hammocks seem to be more comfy than my ridgeline
          equipped ones, just not as easy to set up. Longer is more comfy than
          shorter. I also like the *W* fold better than the other one.

          Rat

          To Amy: Being fairly clueless when it comes to medical stuff I'm not
          > seeing how hip flexors would impact this, but I don't think mine
          are
          > inflexible; from a standing position I can put the palms of my
          hands
          > on the floor with my knees locked (mind you, I'm relatively long in
          > the upper body and short-legged).

          > To Scott: I think the key issue for me is to focus not on the
          > longitudinal hammock sag, but on the latteral (side-by-side)
          > constriction of the shoulders, i.e., my shoulders are forced to
          round
          > forward over a long period of time when lying on my back in the
          > hammock.

          > Again, I really appreciate the inputs, and apologies to those that
          > aren't interested in mid-back pain details.

          Brian