Re: [Hammock Camping] back still sore

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23 8:09 AM
      How tight do you have your hammock? I like mine fairly tight so it lays
      flatter.

      http://360.yahoo.com/snaresman

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23 10:54 AM
        I really appreciate all the feedback on this.

        Aris said:
        "I'm studying to be a personal trainer at the moment,
        and was wondering whether you might have a muscular
        imbalance? ie. either weak erector spinae (back) in
        comparison to your abdominals, which might cause you
        discomfort or postural issues. What therapy exercises
        were you doing?"

        I think it's hard to diagnose these things via just text, but here goes!
        I have a right shoulder rotator cuff problem, specifically,
        impingement of the supraspinatus.
        Among the exercises I'm doing includes one where I lay face down on a
        table and sort of hunch my shoulders upwards while holding weights ---
        that gets right to the same part of the back I'm sore in from the
        hammock --- but I wouldn't jump to assume causality there (I just
        don't know). I also (standing) lean with my back against a wall in
        another exercise and push off with my hands and again "hunch" at the
        shoulders to push farther off from the wall, hitting that same area.
        And in yet another (standing) exercise I use a giant rubber band to
        resist while my bent-at-90-degrees right arm rotates outwards, which
        affects this somewhat too.

        Maybe there is some muscular imbalance; I sure wish I had gotten the
        more complete owners manual when I got this body ... it's held up well
        so far, but I'm thinking maybe it's time for a trade-in or something
        (or at least a 50,000 mile service) ...

        To Bill: While I sleep on my side sometimes, I just can't do that
        comfortably all night. It's sleeping on my back that causes this. I
        don't see how putting something under my knees would help --- my sense
        is that would effect the lower back, but it's right between the
        shoulder blades that I'm sore.

        To Jeff: Thanks very much for your idea --- a real forehead slapper
        for me. Of *course* I should try rolling up a rain jacket or
        something like that before cutting up ccf and adding gear! Next time
        I'm out I'll try this.

        To Amy: Being fairly clueless when it comes to medical stuff I'm not
        seeing how hip flexors would impact this, but I don't think mine are
        inflexible; from a standing position I can put the palms of my hands
        on the floor with my knees locked (mind you, I'm relatively long in
        the upper body and short-legged).

        To Scott: I think the key issue for me is to focus not on the
        longitudinal hammock sag, but on the latteral (side-by-side)
        constriction of the shoulders, i.e., my shoulders are forced to round
        forward over a long period of time when lying on my back in the
        hammock. I appreciate the chirogeek web pointer; that's a scary site!
        I guess I could try chiropractic and acupuncture and qi gong and a
        lot of other options at some point as indeed my physical therapist's
        approach doesn't even seem to be helping my shoulder (much less my
        middle back).

        Again, I really appreciate the inputs, and apologies to those that
        aren't interested in mid-back pain details.

        Brian
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 23 3:03 PM
          Wow, that is up really high on your back. I was imagining it being
          lower, where mine hurts when I sleep on the ground. :-)

          You know, you might actually benefit from something like a spreader
          bar, so that you can lie on your back with very little squeeze on your
          shoulders. Or a stiff pad, maybe a ccf pad reinforced with thin
          fiberglass rods or something like that. Or depending on the size,
          shape, and stiffness of your pack, you might be able to use it to lie
          on and spread things out?

          For something to stuff under you like Jeff said, if you already carry a
          large platy or the bag from a wine box, that might work when blown up
          with air.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
          wrote:
          > Among the exercises I'm doing includes one where I lay face down on a
          > table and sort of hunch my shoulders upwards while holding weights ---
          > that gets right to the same part of the back I'm sore in from the
          > hammock --- but I wouldn't jump to assume causality there (I just
          >
          > To Bill: While I sleep on my side sometimes, I just can't do that
          > comfortably all night. It's sleeping on my back that causes this. I
          > don't see how putting something under my knees would help --- my sense
          > is that would effect the lower back, but it's right between the
          > shoulder blades that I'm sore.
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 23 8:31 PM
            Brian, sounds to me like shoulder pinch is your primary problem. I
            don't thing putting something *under* you will help all that much.
            You need to stretch the hammock away from your shoulders.

            One way would be to get an extra stiff CCF pad that is wider than
            your shoulders and use it as a kinda spreader platform to keep the
            hammock from scrunching your shoulders up.

            Also, as you mentioned, your upper body may be a little longer
            causing your center of gravity to be different than ours. I'm not
            really sure how this would relate to your upper/middle back but it
            may. Try hanging the hammock at different angles (foot end
            higher/lower) to see if it changes anything.

            I built my summer hammock 11 feet long and this really helped end
            the shoulder pinch. I can have a lot more sag and not have my feet
            falling off the end. I lie more on the diagonal and that allows more
            room for my shoulders. The difference is so good I may build all of
            my hammocks this length. The only drawback is the extra weight,
            which is why I tried it with my summer hammock first. The winter
            hammock doesn't have as much pinch due to the CCF pads I use, but it
            is still more than the new summer hammock.

            Try a small pillow, or stuff sack filled with clothes. I use a small
            travel pillow cut in half, about the size of a paperback book. If I
            don't I get a small pain between my shoulder blades but up high,
            kinda between my lower neck and the middle of my shoulder blades.
            The pillow makes it go away.

            Just a couple of things I noticed when I first started building
            hammocks. I get more shoulder pinch when I pull the sides during
            whipping, I leave 'em slack now. Mor sag is better, to a point, and
            my non-ridgeline hammocks seem to be more comfy than my ridgeline
            equipped ones, just not as easy to set up. Longer is more comfy than
            shorter. I also like the *W* fold better than the other one.

            Rat