Re: [Hammock Camping] Washing you hammock

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 22, 2006
      From: Rob <snaresman@...>
      Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:08 pm
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Washing you hammock
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

      > Don't forget that the stuff that makes you itch is an oil.
      > Anything that
      > breaks up an oil will break it up, and also spread it to
      > everything touching
      > the water, including you.

      The oil you are refering to is called urishol. I consider myself
      somewhat of an expert on field expedient treatment due to my many,
      many exposures as an Army grunt. The main objective is to get rid of
      the oils. Some people claim the reaction the oils cause is allergic
      in nature but actually it's probably closer to the reaction that
      people have to the oils in pepper spray. More of an irritation than
      an allergy. Alcohol works great, so does plain ole soapy water. This
      should be followed by flushing the area with lots of water to rinse
      the oils away. Even the flushing by itself with vigorous rubbing of
      the affected area will greatly reduce the skin irritation. Just use
      soap and rinse the hammock and yourself well afterwards and you should
      be fine.

      Brian
      T-BACK