Washing you hammock

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
      I got into some poison Ivy over the weekend. I was wondering if I
      should wash it. I've got a Speer style hammock. Do I just put it in
      the machine and let it run with webbing and all? I guess a commercial
      machine would be better than a standard type machine as the webbing
      wouldn't get all tangled up around the tube thingie.
    • Scott Macri
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
        On 6/20/06, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

        > I got into some poison Ivy over the weekend. I was wondering if I
        > should wash it. I've got a Speer style hammock. Do I just put it in
        > the machine and let it run with webbing and all? I guess a commercial
        > machine would be better than a standard type machine as the webbing
        > wouldn't get all tangled up around the tube thingie.

        If it were me I would be inclined to wash it by hand with a strong detergent
        and a sponge. Just be sure to wash your hands, and arms with rubbing
        alcohol afterwards to be sure you don't have an allergic reaction to the
        ivy. That might be to risky if your allergic to poison ivy though.

        The other option would be to put it in the machine, soak it, and be sure it
        doesn't go into spin cycle. I would not even let it agitate. The spin
        cycle will ruin it.

        --
        Scott A. Macri
        www.HikeHaven.com

      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
          > I got into some poison Ivy over the weekend. I was wondering if I
          > should wash it. I've got a Speer style hammock. Do I just put it in
          > the machine and let it run with webbing and all? I guess a commercial
          > machine would be better than a standard type machine as the webbing
          > wouldn't get all tangled up around the tube thingie.

          No! Do NOT put it in the washing machine!

          Take it outside and hang it loosely, and wet it with the hose. DO NOT FILL
          THE HAMMOCK WITH WATER! Take some Ivory soap (bar or liquid or powder) and
          wash it by hand. Keep it very wet and then rinse it with the hose and make
          sure you get all the soap out of it. Let it air dry completely.

          Retreat with permethrin if desired.

          Helps to wear a bathing suit, or nothing at all if you have a private yard.

          Shane
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
            > If it were me I would be inclined to wash it by hand with a strong
            detergent
            > and a sponge.

            Strong detergent isn't necessary. Ivory soap will do the trick every time.
            Oil doesn't stick to nylon anyway. The soap is just a bonus.

            Shane
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
              Heh heh. That would answer the age old question of "how much weight
              will Hammock X hold?" :-)

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@...>
              wrote:

              > DO NOT FILL
              > THE HAMMOCK WITH WATER!
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                My speer type would not hold water (to porus) but if it would I'd find
                out how strong it was trying to take a bath in it. Wonder if I can
                build one out of some flamproof, waterproof, super strong material.
                Use 2 inch straps and find some really strong trees to hang from.
                Build a fire under hammock...make sure you dont go to sleep in hammock
                tub or your toast (well boiled toast)

                Coy Boy

                <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                > Heh heh. That would answer the age old question of "how much weight
                > will Hammock X hold?" :-)
                >
                > Bill in Houston
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > DO NOT FILL
                > > THE HAMMOCK WITH WATER!

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                  On 6/20/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                  > My speer type would not hold water (to porus) but if it would I'd find
                  > out how strong it was trying to take a bath in it. Wonder if I can
                  > build one out of some flamproof, waterproof, super strong material.
                  > Use 2 inch straps and find some really strong trees to hang from.
                  > Build a fire under hammock...make sure you dont go to sleep in hammock
                  > tub or your toast (well boiled toast)
                  >
                  > Coy Boy

                  Line your curent speer with a plastic drop cloth.
                  Start up the fire. :]

                  Coy's hanging hot tub !!!!!!!!

                  While sitting in it waiting to heat up, dice up a few taters, onions carrots
                  etc. No toast, stew. :]

                  Ralph

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                    Sorry to hear about the poision ivy.

                    I frequently wash my hammock in a washing machine.

                    If I wanted to leave the webbing on, I would let it fill to a small or
                    medium load and then add the detergent. I would wash it by hand in the
                    machine and then manually move the dial to the point that the machine
                    will spin the soapy water out.

                    Then I would add the rinse water, rinse it well by hand with the machine
                    off, and then use the machine to spin out the rinse water. Then I would
                    hang it outdoors to dry.

                    Most of my hammocks now are held together with a whipping, which I
                    frequently remove to be able to wash the hammock. All my hammocks have
                    removable straps. They are much like the straps that Ed wrote about in
                    his book, except that I don't sew them around the hammock, I just sew
                    the loop and then bring the long end of the strap through the loop,
                    tightening it around the end of the hammock (knot or whipping)

                    Hope that helps.

                    Risk

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Coy,

                      You are the sort of White Man that the Shawnee of the late 1700s would
                      have loved. Instead of having to torture you themselves, you could do
                      it for them.

                      Being boiled in a hammock is one experience I will personally skip!

                      Risk

                      Coy wrote:
                      > My speer type would not hold water (to porus) but if it would I'd find
                      > out how strong it was trying to take a bath in it. Wonder if I can
                      > build one out of some flamproof, waterproof, super strong material.
                      > Use 2 inch straps and find some really strong trees to hang from.
                      > Build a fire under hammock...make sure you dont go to sleep in hammock
                      > tub or your toast (well boiled toast)
                      >
                      > Coy Boy

                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 21, 2006
                        If you think it's strong enough (I don't) then you could line it with
                        your poncho that you were already carrying and then fill it up. Get
                        the hood right and the water pressure should do a pretty good job of
                        sealing the hole. But I think that

                        water + Coy = 600 lbs = not-good idea = winding up on the ground with
                        a torn wet hammock

                        :-)

                        Bill in Houston

                        > My speer type would not hold water (to porus) but if it would I'd
                        find
                        > out how strong it was trying to take a bath in it. Wonder if I can
                        > build one out of some flamproof, waterproof, super strong material.
                        > Use 2 inch straps and find some really strong trees to hang from.
                        > Build a fire under hammock...make sure you dont go to sleep in
                        hammock
                        > tub or your toast (well boiled toast)
                        >
                        > Coy Boy
                        >

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                        > <zippydooda@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Heh heh. That would answer the age old question of "how much
                        weight
                        > > will Hammock X hold?" :-)
                        > >
                        > > Bill in Houston
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > DO NOT FILL
                        > > > THE HAMMOCK WITH WATER!

                      • Rob
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 21, 2006
                          I've found that when washing camping gear, it's best to put it in a mesh
                          bag. The last pack I put in the washer had all the straps wrapped up and
                          around everything. It was quite a knot.

                          http://360.yahoo.com/snaresman

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 21, 2006
                            Don't forget that the stuff that makes you itch is an oil. Anything that
                            breaks up an oil will break it up, and also spread it to everything touching
                            the water, including you.

                            http://360.yahoo.com/snaresman

                            > > If it were me I would be inclined to wash it by hand with a strong
                            > detergent
                            > > and a sponge.
                            >
                            > Strong detergent isn't necessary. Ivory soap will do the trick every
                            time.
                            > Oil doesn't stick to nylon anyway. The soap is just a bonus.
                            >
                            > Shane
                          • Ralph Oborn
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 21, 2006
                              water + Coy = 600 lbs = not-good idea = winding up on the ground with
                              a torn wet hammock

                              :-)

                              Bill in Houston

                              Bill Bill Bill

                              we want videos!!

                              Ralph

                            • Rob
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 22, 2006
                                That's one way to get rid of the cold spot underneath!

                              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 22, 2006
                                  From: Rob <snaresman@...>
                                  Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:08 pm
                                  Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Washing you hammock
                                  To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

                                  > Don't forget that the stuff that makes you itch is an oil.
                                  > Anything that
                                  > breaks up an oil will break it up, and also spread it to
                                  > everything touching
                                  > the water, including you.

                                  The oil you are refering to is called urishol. I consider myself
                                  somewhat of an expert on field expedient treatment due to my many,
                                  many exposures as an Army grunt. The main objective is to get rid of
                                  the oils. Some people claim the reaction the oils cause is allergic
                                  in nature but actually it's probably closer to the reaction that
                                  people have to the oils in pepper spray. More of an irritation than
                                  an allergy. Alcohol works great, so does plain ole soapy water. This
                                  should be followed by flushing the area with lots of water to rinse
                                  the oils away. Even the flushing by itself with vigorous rubbing of
                                  the affected area will greatly reduce the skin irritation. Just use
                                  soap and rinse the hammock and yourself well afterwards and you should
                                  be fine.

                                  Brian
                                  T-BACK