Re: [Hammock Camping] sleeping bag or quilt

  • joseph r dupont
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2006
      I use to sleep on the ground as a kid who didn't know any better.
      you will never catch me sleeping on a ground as an adult..
      for many reason.. hang from a tree or trees.
      tarps, wire, and a sleeping bag and saw is all you should need as dead
      branches can be had as spreaders.

      On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:27:41 -0000 "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
      writes:
      Bob said:
      "A sleeping bag will work just fine, but they are a bit of a pain to
      get in and out of. You may get a bit chilled on the bottom side as
      well. Try a pad beneath you, and use the bag like quilt, if possible.
      I am currently doing this until I can make an underquilt."

      It seems I'm re-examining a lot of my gear (again ... I think I could
      have bought a small (okay used <g>) car with all of the iterations of
      gear). I just ordered a new sleeping bag to go lighter there --- I
      live in the Pacific Northwet, er, west, where it rains a fair bit, so
      I've always avoided down. With a hammock, though, there's at least no
      chance of tenting in a pool of water (which I've done) so I'm going
      for down.

      In the "bag versus comforter" debate, I decided I didn't want to have
      to choose, and so picked a lightweight full zipper bag. With a
      full-length zipper, I'm not sure why someone would elect to just go
      with a quilt, unless you think that the zipper would be uncomfortable?

      If I sleep on the ground or in general I can use it as a mummy bag if
      desired, and I think that format should keep me warmer, but I hope to
      use it mostly as a comforter. This seems to work fine for me with my
      20 degree rated synthetic (cat's meow) bag; the zipper didn't bother me.

      I picked the Western Mountaineering "Summerlite". In my size it's 19
      ounces, rated at 32 degrees. Once it arrives I look forward to
      heading up into the hills (with a min/max thermometer to see how cold
      it gets) and see how I like it.

      Brian

      Joseph Rene DuPont
      RR2 99A SR2024 (Woodside Road)
      Towanda, PA 18848 NOTE: dial 908 660 4292 if
      570 268 4178 is busy