silnylon down underquilt

  • kbwaddy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
      has anyone made a down underquilt out of waterproof fabric like silnylon?
      can anyone forsee any problems with this?...Brandon
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:

        > has anyone made a down underquilt out of waterproof fabric like
        silnylon?
        > can anyone forsee any problems with this?...Brandon

        1 - It's not breathable so you'll have to manage condensation

        2 - If the whole thing is made from silnylon, you may have a hard time
        compressing it and it may take longer than DWR to loft back up - just
        guessing there, though.

        Stephenson's uses non-breathable material for a VB liner in their
        bags, but I'm not sure how well that would work in a quilt since the
        vapor could escape out the sides. I haven't heard of anyone making a
        silnylon quilt, so be sure to post results if you do.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2006

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > has anyone made a down underquilt out of waterproof fabric like
          > silnylon?
          > > can anyone forsee any problems with this?...Brandon
          > >

          > 1 - It's not breathable so you'll have to manage condensation
          >
          > 2 - If the whole thing is made from silnylon, you may have a hard
          time
          > compressing it and it may take longer than DWR to loft back up -
          just
          > guessing there, though.
          >
          > Stephenson's uses non-breathable material for a VB liner in their
          > bags, but I'm not sure how well that would work in a quilt since
          the
          > vapor could escape out the sides. I haven't heard of anyone making
          > silnylon quilt, so be sure to post results if you do.
          >
          > Jeff

          My thoughts are like Jeff's, in that it will be different in how it
          handles condensation, wind and how easily it lofts/deflates. It will
          be warmer because there is an inverse relationship between
          breathability and heat retention (and wind proofness as well).
          However it will not handle overheating and the perspiration that goes
          with that as well as breathable material, you will need to be more
          careful about venting to avoid overheating and the hammock fabric
          might get a little damp if it wicks off perspiration. One of the
          earlier home made underquilts for HHs used the material from an
          emergency blanket for the side of the quilt that made contact with
          the hammock, so somebody has experience with that.

          As far as condensation/perspiration goes, you aren't too different
          than sleeping in a tent with a bathtub floor (you know how miserable
          they can be when it is hot, humid and buggy) and you are in about the
          same boat as folks that use two layer hammocks with closed cell pads
          in between the layers. But you can vent an underquilt or just not
          use it in those conditions. My biggest worry would be drying it out
          it you got moisture inside it and it was all silnylon.

          Dave
        • kbwaddy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2006
            thanks for the input guys, i had thought about some of those things as well, i
            was considering making it so you could turn it inside out if it ever did get
            moisture inside, this would require more noseeum than regular baffeling
            though, although i would probably have fewer and larger baffels for ease of
            construction, i guess they would be more like pockets rather than baffels. only
            connected to one side of the shell so it could be turned inside out, this would
            require some sort of opening at one end which would alleviate any problems
            with lofting up and cramming into a stuff sac, as you could open the end a little
            so air could enter or exit. it seems like it would be similar to using the down
            filled air mats, which are obviously just as un breathable, i guess a quilt might
            cover a higher % of the hammock than a air mat though. it seemed like it
            might be a good idea since underquilts can get wet so easily. i don't see how
            it would cause any more condensation problems than the hennessy
            undercover would, which i haven't used so i don't know if there are major
            condensation problems there. i was thinking if only the outside of the quilt(part
            exposed to the elements) was waterproof, moisture evaporating from your
            body would pass through the breathable side, into the interior of the bag and
            then have nowhere to go, and soak the down, but if the whole thing is
            waterproof then moisture would not be able to penetrate from either side,
            keeping the down dry. does this sound right? obviously humid air could enter
            the bag during the lofting process which could dampen the down to some
            extent, but it doesn't seem like it would be any worse than unstuffing your
            down sleeping bag or filling up your down air mat in the same conditions.
            ...Brandon

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <