Hanging the hammock?

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
      WHy does the head end go LOWER than the foot end? Did I read that
      correctly?
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Amy" <sandpiperhiker@...>
        wrote:

        > WHy does the head end go LOWER than the foot end? Did I read that
        > correctly?

        On a level hammock, your center of gravity slides to the lowest
        point...right under your butt. This means your feet slide up into the
        end of the hammock. Hang the foot end higher and your body will stay
        more centered in the hammock lengthwise, giving you more footroom.

        Jeff
      • Amy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
          > > WHy does the head end go LOWER than the foot end? Did I read that
          > > correctly?
          > >

          > On a level hammock, your center of gravity slides to the lowest
          > point...right under your butt. This means your feet slide up into the
          > end of the hammock. Hang the foot end higher and your body will stay
          > more centered in the hammock lengthwise, giving you more footroom.

          Ah, that makes sense! Thanks, Jeff.
        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006

            > On a level hammock, your center of gravity slides to the lowest
            > point...right under your butt. This means your feet slide up into
            > the
            > end of the hammock. Hang the foot end higher and your body will
            > stay
            > more centered in the hammock lengthwise, giving you more footroom.
            >
            > Jeff

            An added benifit is that after a long day of hiking you get to prop
            your feet up all night!

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
              > On a level hammock, your center of gravity slides to the lowest
              > point...right under your butt. This means your feet slide up into
              > the
              > end of the hammock. Hang the foot end higher and your body will
              > stay
              > more centered in the hammock lengthwise, giving you more footroom.
              >
              > Jeff

              Plus you get to prop up your feet all night long after a long day
              hiking!

              Brian
              T-BACK
            • Amy
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2006
                > Plus you get to prop up your feet all night long after a long day
                > hiking!

                Didn't Ray Jardine say something about that in one of his books too?
                (Sleeping with your feet up.)
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > > Plus you get to prop up your feet all night long after a long day
                  > > hiking!
                  >

                  > Didn't Ray Jardine say something about that in one of his books too?
                  > (Sleeping with your feet up.)

                  Yeah. In Beyond Backpacking he says that he tries to lay down with
                  his feet up at every break he takes. I think he mentions that if you
                  have to sleep on an incline, that you should put your head downhill.
                  I've heard that'll give you a headache, though.

                  Jeff
                • marta_clark
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006

                    > Yeah. In Beyond Backpacking he says that he tries to lay down
                    with
                    > his feet up at every break he takes. I think he mentions that if
                    you
                    > have to sleep on an incline, that you should put your head
                    downhill.
                    > I've heard that'll give you a headache, though.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    I've tried it and it works extremely well to reduce puffiness and
                    pain in your feet. For me, it causes a bit of congestion in my head
                    for the first couple of hours at night, and my face feels puffy the
                    next morning. (Since I don't carry a mirror I can't really tell.)
                    But that goes away as soon as I'm up and walking again. I think
                    with a hammock you can get the best of both worlds, keeping your
                    feet elevated without putting your head too far downhill.

                    Marta
                  • Amy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
                      > Yeah. In Beyond Backpacking he says that he tries to lay down with
                      > his feet up at every break he takes. I think he mentions that if you
                      > have to sleep on an incline, that you should put your head downhill.
                      > I've heard that'll give you a headache, though.

                      It give me a headache... but there's probably some ideal angle that I
                      haven't bothered finding!
                    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
                        > Yeah. In Beyond Backpacking he says that he tries to lay down
                        > with
                        > his feet up at every break he takes. I think he mentions that if
                        > you
                        > have to sleep on an incline, that you should put your head
                        > downhill.
                        > I've heard that'll give you a headache, though.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        Yeah, a headache and my sinuses fill up. The hammock allows my head
                        and feet to be slightly elevated at the same time.

                        Brian
                        T-BACK
                      • Scott Macri
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 16, 2006
                          Yeah, a headache and my sinuses fill up. The hammock allows my head
                          and feet to be slightly elevated at the same time.

                          Brian
                          T-BACK

                          Speaking of which, I am hoping the hammock might help with my mold allergies