Will Hennessey Trade With Me?

  • Dawn Harkins
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
      Hi all, I've been offlist for a while and came back just in time to read about Tom's new Hyperlight.

      I bought the Ultralight a couple of months ago, along with the Undercover and Pad. We had a late winter here, so I've just been day hiking, waiting for the snow to receed--so I have not yet used my new Hennessy (I just strung it up in the living room, from the backs of two bar chairs, to see that it was complete and to see how it works--didn't even lay in it.).

      So...obviously, I wish I had waited for the Hyperlight--I WOULD have waited if I had known it was coming. (whine whine, lol.) Context: I am an ultralight backpacker. The Ultralight was a stretch for me due to the weight, but I HURT when on the ground. I seriously considered the racing versions, but figured they might not last more than a season, if that.

      Anyway, this was a big, long-term investment for me, and now I want to exchange my new BP UL Asym for the Hyperlight.

      Question: I wonder if any of you have experience in exchanging items at Hennessy Hammocks? (I bought mine direct from Hennessey.) Do any of you think it is even proper for me to ask Hennessy to exchange it?

      I await your thoughts, feedback, and advice. TY! --Dawn in Tahoe

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
        Heck yea, I would ask to exchange it. Of course they will expect you to pay
        the difference.

        On 6/13/06, Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, I've been offlist for a while and came back just in time to read
        > about Tom's new Hyperlight.
        >
        > I bought the Ultralight a couple of months ago, along with the Undercover
        > and Pad. We had a late winter here, so I've just been day hiking, waiting
        > for the snow to receed--so I have not yet used my new Hennessy (I just
        > strung it up in the living room, from the backs of two bar chairs, to see
        > that it was complete and to see how it works--didn't even lay in it.).
        >
        > So...obviously, I wish I had waited for the Hyperlight--I WOULD have
        > waited if I had known it was coming. (whine whine, lol.) Context: I am an
        > ultralight backpacker. The Ultralight was a stretch for me due to the
        > weight, but I HURT when on the ground. I seriously considered the racing
        > versions, but figured they might not last more than a season, if that.
        >
        > Anyway, this was a big, long-term investment for me, and now I want to
        > exchange my new BP UL Asym for the Hyperlight.
        >
        > Question: I wonder if any of you have experience in exchanging items at
        > Hennessy Hammocks? (I bought mine direct from Hennessey.) Do any of you
        > think it is even proper for me to ask Hennessy to exchange it?
        >
        > I await your thoughts, feedback, and advice. TY! --Dawn in Tahoe

      • Brian Lewis
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
          As someone that just (couple of weeks ago) bought an ultralight a-sym
          ... knowing that the hyperlight was out there ... let me offer one
          line of thinking. Might be just flat wrong, but ... <grin>

          The hyperlite saves you 7 ounces over the ultralight and packs a
          little smaller, for $50 more.

          The money didn't stop me (much), but rather the way in which the
          weight is saved. Comparing the specs, the hammock fabric of the
          hyperlite is "30D high tenacity, high thread count nylon taffeta with
          heavy duty ripstop (wt., 394 g., 13 7/8 oz)"

          The ultralite hammock fabric is "70D nylon taffeta, 160 x 90 high count"

          Every other spec reads the same. So the hyperlite is an ultralight
          except that they've saved 7 ounces and some bulk by reducing the mass
          of the hammock fabric itself --- the part that holds you up off the
          ground and --- it seems to me --- is the part that gets most of the
          wear and tear.

          Like all of the hiking world it seems, I'm ever pushing more *towards*
          the ultralight goal, but am not interested in joining the "gonzo
          ultralight elite". I still wear (light) hiking boots rather than
          tennis shoes, that sort of trade-off. I think I'll be happy with the
          ultralight.

          Brian
        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 13, 2006
            This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable hammock
            at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz foam pad. A
            decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad.

            I can save a great deal of weight if I drop my sleeping bag and try a quilt,
            space blanket and liner setup. Of course I will likely have my pad too.
            20oz+5oz+2oz = 1lb 11 oz. My Sleeping bag is about 3.5lbs., so I still save
            just under 2.5lbs.

            Going from about 6lbs to 4.5lbs is still a great loss in weight.

            I would expect the ultralite is made out of ripstop too. Not sure if you
            left that out by accident, or it really isn't ripstop.

            I am not sure if the material used for the ultralite is a real concern. I
            wonder what the tear strength is. I got a GoLite speed bag and the material
            has a tear strenth of about 12lbs. It is very thin material.

            --
            Scott A. Macri
            www.HikeHaven.com

          • Brian Lewis
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2006
              "This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable
              hammock at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz
              foam pad. A decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad."

              A couple of additional observations about a Hennesy Hammock. I just
              got back from an overnight hike --- btw, with a fellow hammock camper
              that I met via this list! We were both initally leery lest the other
              one turn out to be an axe murderer ... <grin>. He was great, however,
              and it was helpful to learn from someone who's been doing this.

              Like me, this guy also has a Hennessy Backpacker A-Sym, though his is
              from a few years ago (3 I think?). We set these up close to each
              other, and both of us tried crawling into the other persons hammock.
              To both of us it looked as if his is roomier inside than mine, and
              longer. The Backpacker A-Sym is supposed to be for a person up to
              6' tall. I'm 5'10" on a particularly tall day, and he's about an inch
              shorter, but a possibility is that my hammock is nevertheless on the
              short side of what it should be for me (??). So perhaps mine was
              made a little smaller than it should have been, or perhaps in recent
              years they've been making them a little smaller, or both myself and
              this other Hennesy owner were fooled, or ... space aliens. You can
              never discount the possibility that space aliens are involved (keep
              that tin foil completely covering your cranium at all times).

              I suppose I could consider switching to an HH Explorer Deluxe
              (especially if I could convince my wife that she really needs a
              hammock tent <grin>), but it's surprisingly heavier at 52 oz rather
              than 31 oz. According to the specs this adds 8" of length. But wait,
              there's also an Explorer Ultralight, that's just 39 oz and is the same
              price as the Explorer Deluxe.

              Maybe someone else can comment as to whether a "near to" 6' person
              should go with an Explorer versus a Backpacker. Based on my limited
              experience and this ~side-by-side comparison I might consider doing
              that if I were to start over.

              Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
              thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
              people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
              files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything like
              that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !

              One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for such a
              list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep webbing/strapping
              in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
              your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers know
              very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.

              Brian
            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2006
                Personally, I think lighter is better, so I would go with the lighter
                hammock.

                On 7/3/06, Brian Lewis <brianle@...> wrote:

                > "This is a very good point. Maybe I should consider the more durable
                > hammock at a lower price. Either way I am ok with 1lb 15oz. + 10oz
                > foam pad. A decent tarp setup is about 2lbs 5oz + a pad."
                >
                > A couple of additional observations about a Hennesy Hammock. I just
                > got back from an overnight hike --- btw, with a fellow hammock camper
                > that I met via this list! We were both initally leery lest the other
                > one turn out to be an axe murderer ... <grin>. He was great, however,
                > and it was helpful to learn from someone who's been doing this.
                >
                > Like me, this guy also has a Hennessy Backpacker A-Sym, though his is
                > from a few years ago (3 I think?). We set these up close to each
                > other, and both of us tried crawling into the other persons hammock.
                > To both of us it looked as if his is roomier inside than mine, and
                > longer. The Backpacker A-Sym is supposed to be for a person up to
                > 6' tall. I'm 5'10" on a particularly tall day, and he's about an inch
                > shorter, but a possibility is that my hammock is nevertheless on the
                > short side of what it should be for me (??). So perhaps mine was
                > made a little smaller than it should have been, or perhaps in recent
                > years they've been making them a little smaller, or both myself and
                > this other Hennesy owner were fooled, or ... space aliens. You can
                > never discount the possibility that space aliens are involved (keep
                > that tin foil completely covering your cranium at all times).
                >
                > I suppose I could consider switching to an HH Explorer Deluxe
                > (especially if I could convince my wife that she really needs a
                > hammock tent <grin>), but it's surprisingly heavier at 52 oz rather
                > than 31 oz. According to the specs this adds 8" of length. But wait,
                > there's also an Explorer Ultralight, that's just 39 oz and is the same
                > price as the Explorer Deluxe.
                >
                > Maybe someone else can comment as to whether a "near to" 6' person
                > should go with an Explorer versus a Backpacker. Based on my limited
                > experience and this ~side-by-side comparison I might consider doing
                > that if I were to start over.
                >
                > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
                > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
                > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
                > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything like
                > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !
                >
                > One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for such a
                > list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep webbing/strapping
                > in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
                > your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers know
                > very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.
                >
                > Brian

              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3, 2006
                  Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions might
                  be helpful...

                  Bill in Houston

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
                  > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
                  > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all
                  the
                  > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything
                  like
                  > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !
                  >
                  > One point that I learned on this trip that I might suggest for
                  such a
                  > list is to have a small separate plastic bag to keep
                  webbing/strapping
                  > in, as I found out this morning that some trees will leave pitch on
                  > your straps ... stuff like this that I expect experienced hangers
                  know
                  > very well, but isn't obvious to those (like me) just starting out.
                  >

                  > Brian

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > Side question: I just looked at the files section for this group,
                    > thinking perhaps there's something like a list of suggestions for
                    > people starting out as hammock campers. I didn't dig through all the
                    > files there, but at first glance there didn't seem to be anything
                    like
                    > that. Is there such a list somewhere? If not ... !

                    http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm is a good start.
                  • jonas4321
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                      <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                      > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions might
                      > be helpful...

                      I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read thusly-

                      Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
                      A: "Try for yourself."

                      Q: "How much sag is required?"
                      A: "Try for yourself."

                      Q: "What will keep me warm?"
                      A: "Try for yourself."

                      <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.

                      Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!

                      Jonas
                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                        Heh heh, exactly. That is what I am trying to avoid. Make the
                        effort one time to put down 10 or 20 newbie tips and links.

                        Bill in Houston

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                        > <zippydooda@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Something like a top ten list of answers to newbie questions
                        might
                        > > be helpful...
                        >
                        > I've often thought of this, and it seems to me like it would read
                        thusly-

                        > Q: "What kind of hammock is best?"
                        > A: "Try for yourself."
                        >
                        > Q: "How much sag is required?"
                        > A: "Try for yourself."
                        >
                        > Q: "What will keep me warm?"
                        > A: "Try for yourself."

                        > <grin>. <<<==-- please note the tongue in cheek before flaming.
                        >
                        > Have a very nice Independance Day, everyone!
                        >
                        > Jonas

                      • Scott Macri
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                          I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really helps anyone
                          though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                          =

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Ed Speer's book on Hammock Camping is a great place to start.

                            Youngblood

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                              That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                              though.

                              http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

                              I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                              start.

                              Jeff
                            • Scott Macri
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4, 2006
                                Nice work.

                                I actually read that site before. It has been a while so I am going to
                                re-read it.

                                On 7/4/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                                > though.
                                >
                                > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                                >
                                > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                                > start.
                                >
                                > Jeff

                              • jonas4321
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                                  helps anyone
                                  > though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.

                                  Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                                  half-joke.

                                  For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                                  article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                                  fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                                  when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).

                                  I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                                  archives and read everything I could.

                                  THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                                  and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                                  later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                                  others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                                  equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.

                                  My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                                  that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                                  you need them to be comfortable in the woods.

                                  You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                                  advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                                  have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                                  what I felt was most valuable to me.

                                  So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                                  still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                                  most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                                  one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.

                                  That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.
                                • Dick Matthews
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                    It took three nights in the hammock to "get it" and become more
                                    comfortable than on the ground. Some people like them after their first
                                    use. Some people will never find the comfort that we enjoy.

                                    The results of a survey on number of uses to comfort would be useful.
                                    My guess is that it would be a classic bell shaped curve.

                                    Dick Matthews

                                    jonas4321 wrote:

                                    >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                                    >wrote:
                                    >

                                    >>I don't think giving an answer like, "try for yourself " really
                                    >>

                                    >helps anyone
                                    >

                                    >>though. I would expect they are looking for actual suggestions.
                                    >>

                                    >Sorry, should have made my <grin> more obvious. This was intended as a
                                    >half-joke.
                                    >
                                    >For me, reading everything I could, starting with Allen Leigh's
                                    >article (http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html), then Ed Speer's
                                    >fantastic book, then Risk's website (if Jeff's site had been around
                                    >when I got into hammock camping, I would have devoured it, too).
                                    >
                                    >I then joined the list here and over on WhiteBlaze.net, searched the
                                    >archives and read everything I could.
                                    >
                                    >THEN I ordered my first hammock (a Marina Double nylon mesh hammock)
                                    >and "tried for myself". That was over 3 years ago and, 5 hammocks
                                    >later, I am still reading everything I can, and trying out ideas that
                                    >others present, and a few of my own as I fiddle with design,
                                    >equipment, locations, responding to weather conditions, etc.
                                    >
                                    >My point was that no matter what the advice or suggestion, I think
                                    >that the most important thing is to try things out for yourself BEFORE
                                    >you need them to be comfortable in the woods.
                                    >
                                    >You may not find this helpful by itself, but it is the only piece of
                                    >advice I ever heard that applies to ALL the other suggestions. Others
                                    >have done a great job with those suggestions, so my contribution was
                                    >what I felt was most valuable to me.
                                    >
                                    >So, the joke- no matter what anyone tells you works for them, it's
                                    >still going to come down to "try for yourself". Hammock camping is the
                                    >most personalized, custom activity I have ever encountered. That is
                                    >one of the things that makes it most enjoyable for me.
                                    >
                                    >That and the comfortable night's sleep <grin>.

                                  • Scott
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                      Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                                      is there a second part somewhere else? Still, this is some great info
                                      and has given me ideas for things I'd never thought about!

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                        wrote:
                                        >...Hammock camping is the most personalized, custom activity I have
                                        > ever encountered...

                                        I've never thought of it that way, but I believe you are right and that
                                        is probably the best way to explain it because what one person may love
                                        another person may not like at all and vice versa.

                                        Dave
                                      • Bill in Houston
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                          Those are really good. I was also thinking about the typical
                                          questions "What kind of hammock should I buy?" and "How will I know if
                                          I will like it?"

                                          Bill in Houston

                                          > That's what I tried to do with my page. More than ten questions,
                                          > though.
                                          >
                                          > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
                                          >
                                          > I'd have to echo Youngblood, though - Ed's book is a great place to
                                          > start.
                                          >
                                          > Jeff

                                        • Mark Bayern
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                            "How will I know if I will like it?"

                                            When you wake up the next morning and realize you actually had a good nights
                                            sleep, no problems with rocks, roots, or rain water...

                                          • Jeff
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 5, 2006
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                                              > Maybe I'm missing something? I only saw 7 questions on your page...
                                              > is there a second part somewhere else?

                                              Haha - no. I wasn't even thinking about the questions on the first
                                              page...I was just thinking about all the topics covered (pads,
                                              underquilts, tarps, bivies, site selection, storage, etc). Forgot I
                                              had even framed the front page as questions!
                                            • jonas4321
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 6, 2006

                                                > I've never thought of it that way

                                                Uh, oh.

                                                *I* thought of something that DAVE WOMBLE never thought of?

                                                Either I'll be receiving an Ice Skating Party invitation from the
                                                devil, or someone else is about to return!

                                                <grin>

                                                Sorry, Dave, it's just that I have learned SO much for your posts over
                                                the years, it was a surprise to read that. You made my day!

                                                Jonas

                                                ps- I still feel like a newbie...