Hammock or Tarp?

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 12 8:20 PM
      I am also considering a hammock, but my concern isn't knots, it is being
      cold. I have a +20* bag, which should help a bit. My other concern is that
      they are a bit heavier than a tarp.

      My question to you is why should I use a hammock instead of a GoLite
      Ultralite 2 tarp? I am an ultralite backpacker so every ounce makes a huge
      difference to me. Also, what is the best way to keep warm. I will be
      backpacking in areas with lows from 38 deg F to about 55 deg F.

      I have read many pros and cons about hammocks, but haven't tried one yet.

      Thanks.

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 12 9:01 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
        wrote:

        > My question to you is why should I use a hammock instead of a GoLite
        > Ultralite 2 tarp?

        Most people find the comfort of hammocks is light-years ahead of
        sleeping on a pad of similar weight. If you're good on a 6 oz pad, go
        ahead. But my hammock only weighs about 8 oz (no bugnet) and I bet
        I'll be sleeping in much later than you! :)

        Here are some real-world weight comparisons of hammock and ground
        systems that people actually use - not just some made-up systems
        playing numbers games. Well, there are a few hypothetical setups in
        there, but it's mostly what people have actually posted. I bet you'll
        be hard pressed to match Risk's 0*F hammock setup with a ground setup.
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

        Plus, anywhere there's trees you'll probably find a good campsite in
        about 3 minutes...steep ridges, wet sloshy ground, rocky areas, thick
        underbrush, even over small creeks. In most areas, it's much easier
        to find a hammock site than it is to find a tent/tarp site. Of
        course, above treeline or on a bald you'll have to descend a bit, and
        the desert can be tricky. But you'll already have a tarp anyway, so
        you can always tarp it like you used to (back when you were still an
        unevolved ground dweller :p )

        Also, you don't have to clear the ground when making camp...quicker
        setup, better LNT, etc.

        Did I mention the comfort is light-years ahead of sleeping on the
        ground?

        Anyway, it's not for everyone. If you're a mad fanatic about tarping
        to stay lighter, that's your style and hammocks may not work for you.
        But if you're willing to sacrifice a few ounces for an extra hour or
        two of comfortable sleep a night, well, you might just be a convert....

        Jeff
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 12 10:17 PM
          I am starting to like the sound of the comfort thing. I just figured out I
          can get a light weight quilt, a silk liner and a 1/8" closed-foam pad to use
          with the new Hennesy Hammock and be happy with the weight. It would all
          weigh in just under 2lbs and I would likely be comfortable down to about
          38*, which would satisfy me. I can always put on more clothes.

          Thanks for the reply.

          By the way, if I get the hammock, the tarp goes back to the store so I won't
          have it anymore. LOL My other tarps are shot.

          The pros are starting to out weigh the cons, which is what I was hoping for.

          By this time tomorrow I might be a convert.

          On 6/13/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

          > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
          >
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > My question to you is why should I use a hammock instead of a GoLite
          > > Ultralite 2 tarp?
          >
          > Most people find the comfort of hammocks is light-years ahead of
          > sleeping on a pad of similar weight. If you're good on a 6 oz pad, go
          > ahead. But my hammock only weighs about 8 oz (no bugnet) and I bet
          > I'll be sleeping in much later than you! :)
          >
          > Here are some real-world weight comparisons of hammock and ground
          > systems that people actually use - not just some made-up systems
          > playing numbers games. Well, there are a few hypothetical setups in
          > there, but it's mostly what people have actually posted. I bet you'll
          > be hard pressed to match Risk's 0*F hammock setup with a ground setup.
          > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html
          >
          > Plus, anywhere there's trees you'll probably find a good campsite in
          > about 3 minutes...steep ridges, wet sloshy ground, rocky areas, thick
          > underbrush, even over small creeks. In most areas, it's much easier
          > to find a hammock site than it is to find a tent/tarp site. Of
          > course, above treeline or on a bald you'll have to descend a bit, and
          > the desert can be tricky. But you'll already have a tarp anyway, so
          > you can always tarp it like you used to (back when you were still an
          > unevolved ground dweller :p )
          >
          > Also, you don't have to clear the ground when making camp...quicker
          > setup, better LNT, etc.
          >
          > Did I mention the comfort is light-years ahead of sleeping on the
          > ground?
          >
          > Anyway, it's not for everyone. If you're a mad fanatic about tarping
          > to stay lighter, that's your style and hammocks may not work for you.
          > But if you're willing to sacrifice a few ounces for an extra hour or
          > two of comfortable sleep a night, well, you might just be a convert....
          >
          > Jeff
          > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 13 5:42 AM
            Scot, I'd hang on to that tarp (if it will serve as a fly). I have
            never got very wet in a HH but I wish the stock fly was bigger. The
            ones on my asyms are slightly bigger than the on on my original but
            to avoid a seam the tarps on most modles are not all that wide. The
            diamond (well almost diamond on the asyms) shape is definatly on of
            the most effecient shapes when it comes to saving weight but I
            regualary use my SD tarp (Super Dave) even when I drag out one of my
            HHs. It is about 9 x 11 and I have yet to get wet under it even in
            blowing rain. It hangs seperatly so I dont have to worry with my
            tarp sagging. It would also be handy to have it ready to hang
            quickly if a long rain set in (then set up hammock most likely) but
            so far I have not needed to do this.

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 13 6:59 AM
              Thanks for the tip. I would rather not carry the extra weight with me
              though. I always have my space blanket and a garbage bag for emergency
              reasons. I'm not really concerned that much about getting wet. I am more
              concerned about staying warm, especially if I do end up getting wet.

              I have spoken with dozens of people who own HH's and so far none of they had
              issues with getting wet. One person mentioned condensation though.

              I noticed HH now gives you a choice of a larger fly if you want. It is a
              bit more costly, but is much larger.

              On 6/13/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

              > Scot, I'd hang on to that tarp (if it will serve as a fly). I have
              > never got very wet in a HH but I wish the stock fly was bigger. The
              > ones on my asyms are slightly bigger than the on on my original but
              > to avoid a seam the tarps on most modles are not all that wide. The
              > diamond (well almost diamond on the asyms) shape is definatly on of
              > the most effecient shapes when it comes to saving weight but I
              > regualary use my SD tarp (Super Dave) even when I drag out one of my
              > HHs. It is about 9 x 11 and I have yet to get wet under it even in
              > blowing rain. It hangs seperatly so I dont have to worry with my
              > tarp sagging. It would also be handy to have it ready to hang
              > quickly if a long rain set in (then set up hammock most likely) but
              > so far I have not needed to do this.
              >
              > Coy Boy
              >
              > .

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 13 8:15 AM
                <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > I just figured out I
                > can get a light weight quilt, a silk liner and a 1/8" closed-foam
                pad to use
                > with the new Hennesy Hammock and be happy with the weight.

                Hammocking is a new way of sleeping, so there are a few issues that
                you don't have when ground sleeping.

                First, the hammock hugs your body. This means that when you're on a
                narrow pad, the hammock's material compresses the quilt's insulation
                at your shoulders and hips, causing cold spots. With that setup,
                you'll likely find it nearly impossible to sleep on your side w/o
                your knees and butt freezing as the temps drop. Stuffing extra
                clothes down the side works, but with a pad the SPE is probably the
                best thing going. Check it out at www.speerhammocks.com .

                Also, in a hammock you'll have air blowing under you, which robs a
                lot of your heat. For me, a 1/8" pad probably wouldn't keep me warm
                much below 50...just guessing since I haven't used a 1/8" pad, and I
                sleep cold. YMMV.

                And in a hammock, the pad wraps around you so there's less
                ventilation...that can cause condensation. Some folks are ok with
                it, others aren't. Test it out and see...I like breathable
                insulation like underquilts better than pads.

                But either way, the weight's still pretty low. Below a certain
                weight, it's just a mental game, anyway. Does it really make a
                physical difference to your body if you're packing 25 lbs instead of
                20? For me, I'd rather carry that extra 5 lbs of goodies to be
                comfortable in camp. JMHO.

                I bet you'll never go back to ground sleeping once you get your
                setup dialed in!

                Jeff
              • Scott
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 13 9:53 AM
                  I've been using a Hennessey Hammock for several years now, and I have
                  always used a heavy duty space blanket (red on one side, silver on the
                  other) spread out under my sleeping bag. The silver side reflects 80%
                  of my body heat back to me. It has definately kept me warm on cold
                  nights. I bet a $2.00 cheapie space blanket would work nearly as
                  well, but I've never tried it, as I'm not that concerned with weight.
                  The weight of the heavy duty blanket isn't all that much (12oz), but
                  I'm sure it's lighter than anything filled with down, and it doesn't
                  soak up moisture.

                  REI has them (Space All-Weather Blanket $11.95 Item 407106)
                  (sorry - link was too long to put in the message)

                  Scott

                  wrote:

                  > I am also considering a hammock, but my concern isn't knots, it is being
                  > cold. I have a +20* bag, which should help a bit. My other concern
                  is that
                  > they are a bit heavier than a tarp.
                  >
                  > My question to you is why should I use a hammock instead of a GoLite
                  > Ultralite 2 tarp? I am an ultralite backpacker so every ounce makes
                  a huge
                  > difference to me. Also, what is the best way to keep warm. I will be
                  > backpacking in areas with lows from 38 deg F to about 55 deg F.
                  >
                  > I have read many pros and cons about hammocks, but haven't tried one
                  yet.

                  > Thanks.

                • Scott Macri
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 13 10:00 AM
                    "I bet you'll never go back to ground sleeping once you get your
                    setup dialed in!"

                    Sounds like a good plan. I'll let you know how it works out.

                    On 6/13/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > "Scott Macri"
                    > <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just figured out I
                    > > can get a light weight quilt, a silk liner and a 1/8" closed-foam
                    > pad to use
                    > > with the new Hennesy Hammock and be happy with the weight.
                    >
                    > Hammocking is a new way of sleeping, so there are a few issues that
                    > you don't have when ground sleeping.
                    >
                    > First, the hammock hugs your body. This means that when you're on a
                    > narrow pad, the hammock's material compresses the quilt's insulation
                    > at your shoulders and hips, causing cold spots. With that setup,
                    > you'll likely find it nearly impossible to sleep on your side w/o
                    > your knees and butt freezing as the temps drop. Stuffing extra
                    > clothes down the side works, but with a pad the SPE is probably the
                    > best thing going. Check it out at www.speerhammocks.com .
                    >
                    > Also, in a hammock you'll have air blowing under you, which robs a
                    > lot of your heat. For me, a 1/8" pad probably wouldn't keep me warm
                    > much below 50...just guessing since I haven't used a 1/8" pad, and I
                    > sleep cold. YMMV.
                    >
                    > And in a hammock, the pad wraps around you so there's less
                    > ventilation...that can cause condensation. Some folks are ok with
                    > it, others aren't. Test it out and see...I like breathable
                    > insulation like underquilts better than pads.
                    >
                    > But either way, the weight's still pretty low. Below a certain
                    > weight, it's just a mental game, anyway. Does it really make a
                    > physical difference to your body if you're packing 25 lbs instead of
                    > 20? For me, I'd rather carry that extra 5 lbs of goodies to be
                    > comfortable in camp. JMHO.
                    >
                    > I bet you'll never go back to ground sleeping once you get your
                    > setup dialed in!
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • Scott Macri
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 13 10:19 AM
                      Great, thanks. I will check them out when I go there tonight.

                      FYI:
                      Use tinyurl.com for long links. It is a great tool.

                      On 6/13/06, Scott <scotth61@...> wrote:

                      > I've been using a Hennessey Hammock for several years now, and I have
                      > always used a heavy duty space blanket (red on one side, silver on the
                      > other) spread out under my sleeping bag. The silver side reflects 80%
                      > of my body heat back to me. It has definately kept me warm on cold
                      > nights. I bet a $2.00 cheapie space blanket would work nearly as
                      > well, but I've never tried it, as I'm not that concerned with weight.
                      > The weight of the heavy duty blanket isn't all that much (12oz), but
                      > I'm sure it's lighter than anything filled with down, and it doesn't
                      > soak up moisture.
                      >
                      > REI has them (Space All-Weather Blanket $11.95 Item 407106)
                      > (sorry - link was too long to put in the message)
                      >
                      > Scott

                    • Dylan Anderson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 13 12:52 PM
                        I believe Jeff was refering to whatever tarp you use
                        to cover the hammock. If you come across an area
                        where you cannot hang the hammock, then you can always
                        set up under the hammock tarp on the ground if you
                        need to. I have had to do this once, and it was
                        perfectly acceptable.

                        As for the tarps themselves, I do not know anyone who
                        carries the Hennessy and another tarp at the same
                        time. A lot of people do replace the Hennessy tarp
                        though. Some do because they are concerned about
                        blowing rain, but most do it to have more space to
                        work under in bad weather (cooking, changing, etc.),
                        as well as having better coverage in those cases where
                        they must "go to ground". I use the larger "Hex" tarp
                        from Hennessy, and it is certainly large enough for
                        all of these uses, but others I think were just
                        pointing out that there are lighter options if you
                        want to save every ounce possible.

                        In any case, good luck and many safe travels with any
                        system you choose!

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Scott Macri
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 13 1:15 PM
                          Ahhh, I see.

                          Well, I think I will try the standard hammock tarp and see how it goes. I
                          am a small guy, and try to avoid cooking. Any cooking I do is just boiling
                          water anyways, but I can see how it would be irritating in the rain.

                          I am also starting to like the sound of the more durable version of HH
                          (ultralite). I think it would be a better choice because I am willing to
                          bet the hammock with occassionall brush against trees, shrubs, etc. I would
                          have to tear the hammock and have to replace it because I wanted to reduce
                          the weight a bit. That just means I cannot bring my book along. LOL I
                          never end up reading it anyways. LOL

                          On 6/13/06, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

                          > I believe Jeff was refering to whatever tarp you use
                          > to cover the hammock. If you come across an area
                          > where you cannot hang the hammock, then you can always
                          > set up under the hammock tarp on the ground if you
                          > need to. I have had to do this once, and it was
                          > perfectly acceptable.
                          >
                          > As for the tarps themselves, I do not know anyone who
                          > carries the Hennessy and another tarp at the same
                          > time. A lot of people do replace the Hennessy tarp
                          > though. Some do because they are concerned about
                          > blowing rain, but most do it to have more space to
                          > work under in bad weather (cooking, changing, etc.),
                          > as well as having better coverage in those cases where
                          > they must "go to ground". I use the larger "Hex" tarp
                          > from Hennessy, and it is certainly large enough for
                          > all of these uses, but others I think were just
                          > pointing out that there are lighter options if you
                          > want to save every ounce possible.
                          >
                          > In any case, good luck and many safe travels with any
                          > system you choose!

                        • Rosaleen Sullivan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 14 2:25 PM
                            Scott-

                            I've slept in my hammock down to about 22 F, wearing my breathable rain gear over a fleece jacket and pants, on a wide Target blue foam pad, and using a 35 F bag. I probably also had a mylar space blanket suspended below the hammock, and MAY have used a breathable Adventure Medical emergency blanket (no longer findable, it seems) between me and my bag (used as a quilt).

                            That mouthful said, I'm working on yet another lightweight alternative. Again, I like the suspended space blanket, and will use it if needed. I am taking off next week for at least a month, probably more. I plan to bring one of the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads, and using it as a liner to a thin fleece suspended blanket/tunic. I used the regular size pad and the blanket over the weekend when the temps were in the mid 50's, Nunatak Backcountry Blanket used as a quilt, and silk pants and shirt for sleeping clothes. I was almost too warm, except for my arms. I have a wider pad from GG that I will play with a bit before I leave, but if it doesn't pack well as the back pad for my Mariposa, will stick with the standard one. I suspect this will be a very light set up, when I get done.

                            I will let you know how this does over a long trip.

                            Rosaleen

                            Hammock or Tarp?
                            Posted by: "Scott Macri" hacktorious@...<mailto:hacktorious@...> hacktorious

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 14 3:02 PM
                              That sounds great. Thanks.

                              I too am going to experiment with this stuff. I like the space blanket
                              idea.

                              On 6/14/06, Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                              > Scott-
                              >
                              > I've slept in my hammock down to about 22 F, wearing my breathable rain
                              > gear over a fleece jacket and pants, on a wide Target blue foam pad, and
                              > using a 35 F bag. I probably also had a mylar space blanket suspended below
                              > the hammock, and MAY have used a breathable Adventure Medical emergency
                              > blanket (no longer findable, it seems) between me and my bag (used as a
                              > quilt).
                              >
                              > That mouthful said, I'm working on yet another lightweight alternative.
                              > Again, I like the suspended space blanket, and will use it if needed. I am
                              > taking off next week for at least a month, probably more. I plan to bring
                              > one of the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads, and using it as a liner to a thin
                              > fleece suspended blanket/tunic. I used the regular size pad and the blanket
                              > over the weekend when the temps were in the mid 50's, Nunatak Backcountry
                              > Blanket used as a quilt, and silk pants and shirt for sleeping clothes. I
                              > was almost too warm, except for my arms. I have a wider pad from GG that I
                              > will play with a bit before I leave, but if it doesn't pack well as the back
                              > pad for my Mariposa, will stick with the standard one. I suspect this will
                              > be a very light set up, when I get done.
                              >
                              > I will let you know how this does over a long trip.
                              >
                              > Rosaleen

                            • Rob
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 19 8:44 AM
                                Hello

                                My usual MO is to use my Thermorest in the bottom of the hammock and my
                                sleeping bag on top of that. I've gone down to near zero without any cold
                                spots.

                                http://360.yahoo.com/snaresman