Hot Springs June06

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 12, 2006
      Our SEHHA campout in Hot Springs, NC this past weekend was fun &
      relaxing. We had 9 hammockers Sat nite, including some ole favorites &
      some new faces. The weather was hot & clear, making the Sat afternoon
      watermelon that much better! Thanks to everyone for attending. Special
      mentions go to Mel who's thru hiking the AT northbound right now &
      Marta, who's starting her southbound thru hike in a few weeks--best of
      luck to you both

      Our next campout is Sep 22-24--hope everyone can make it....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 15, 2006
        From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
        Date: Monday, June 12, 2006 1:55 pm
        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hot Springs June06
        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

        > Our SEHHA campout in Hot Springs, NC this past weekend was fun &
        > relaxing. We had 9 hammockers Sat nite, including some ole
        > favorites &
        > some new faces.

        Missed you guys but I'm glad to see you all had a great time. BTW,
        I'm going to be hiking on the AT July 4th weekend. Any one up for a
        three day hike?

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 15, 2006
          Where will you be hiking?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 15, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:

            > BTW, I'm going to be hiking on the AT July 4th weekend. Any one up
            > for a three day hike?
            >
            > Brian
            > T-BACK

            What part of the AT are you hiking?

            Dave
          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 17, 2006

              > What part of the AT are you hiking?
              >
              > Dave

              Once again I'm open to suggestions and I'm willing to drive pretty
              much anywhere in GA, SC, or NC.

              Brian
              T-BACK
            • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 17, 2006
                From: Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
                Date: Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:46 pm
                Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Hot Springs June06
                To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

                > Where will you be hiking?

                No real plans yet. I'll have my daughter and possibly my stepson with
                me. We will probably be hiking a kind of slow but we have no problem
                seperating from the group and metting up at the campsites. Some
                others have shown interest in going. Maybe we could get a group
                together.

                Brian
                T-BACK
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 19, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:

                  > > What part of the AT are you hiking?
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > >

                  > Once again I'm open to suggestions and I'm willing to drive pretty
                  > much anywhere in GA, SC, or NC.
                  >
                  > Brian
                  > T-BACK

                  Brian,

                  I need a few more clues before I can offer recommendations. <grin>

                  Distance, difficulty, etc. The AT in Georgia and North Carolina is
                  pretty much mountains, the Foothills Trail (mostly nw South Carolina)
                  has more water access. I don't know what the springs in the
                  mountains look like right now, but we've had very little rain around
                  Atlanta for the last several weeks.

                  Dave
                • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 22, 2006
                    > I need a few more clues before I can offer recommendations. <grin>
                    >
                    > Distance, difficulty, etc. The AT in Georgia and North Carolina
                    > is
                    > pretty much mountains, the Foothills Trail (mostly nw South
                    > Carolina)
                    > has more water access. I don't know what the springs in the
                    > mountains look like right now, but we've had very little rain
                    > around
                    > Atlanta for the last several weeks.

                    Dave,

                    It will be me, my daughter, and my other stepson on this trip. I
                    don't think we will want to go more than ten miles per day. I was
                    thinking of starting at Neels Gap and hiking north. The water issue
                    concerns me. I want the kids to have a good time, not dehydrate. The
                    lower trail sounds good but the higher trails will be cooler at
                    night. I'm not sure what to do.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 22, 2006
                      Brian,

                      How far are you thinking of going? Going north from Neels Gap you
                      have about 20 miles to Unicoi Gap where the AT crosses GA75. The
                      next 16 miles to Dicks Creek Gap at US76 are tough with several big
                      climbs. In general, the AT in Georgia gets tougher the farther north
                      you go. I talked to someone at Mountain Crossings (the outfitter at
                      Neels Gap) this morning and he said the water was still flowing at
                      most of the springs from what he had heard. I am heading out in the
                      morning and will be at Springer Mtn tomorrow night, I won't have
                      computer access for a few days.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 22, 2006
                        From: Dave Womble <dpwomble@...>
                        Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:00 pm
                        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: July 4th AT hike
                        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

                        > Brian,
                        >
                        > How far are you thinking of going?

                        Maybe I should just retrace my last trip from Springer to Neels Gap.
                        Like I said, I want the Kids to have fun. I plan on about 30 miles of
                        hiking.

                        Brian
                        T-BACK
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 23, 2006
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 25, 2006
                            I don't know about the
                            > kids,
                            > what's your guess, can they keep up with you?

                            Dave,

                            I think we'll try going from Dicks Gap south to Neels Gap. That way
                            we can get the big climb over with early. Thanks for your help. As
                            for the kids, I'll probably be the one trying to keep up. 8^)

                            Brian
                            T-BACK