RE: Hammock Camping Trip report and questions

    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2003
      Message
      Deb, others have provided some good answers to your recent questions, but I'd like to learn more about your sore heel problem. This might be a problem for others as well and I'd like to know if there is a workable solution. Yes, it may well be that your feet are too close to the hammock end and thus cannot nestle into the 'sweet foot pocket' Rick talks about. You probably need at least a foot or so extra beyond your feet. Is your hammock long enough to allow this?

      Also, I tend to slide toward the foot end during the night (and jamming my feet into the end) unless I pitch the foot end 4-6" higher than the head end. The pitch of the hammock can also be controled by varying the length of the hanging straps--once occupied, either end of the hammock will hang lower if the strap at that end is lenghtened.  Conversely, a shorten strap will make that end hang higher.  It's possible your hammock is pitched too tight and/or the supports are too close together. Have you tried leaving more sag in the unoccupied hammock?

      Generally, the greater the sag in the unoccupied hammock, the better the hammock can contour to one's body, thus preventing any uncomfortable pressure points.  How much sag is too much?  As long as your butt dosen't hit the ground!  However, some folks have reported that they must pitch the Speer hammock really tight in order to prevent their butt from hitting the ground. This is only a problem the first few times the hammock is occupied--after a few hours of use, the polypro straps should be fully stretched and then the hammock can be pitched with the proper comfortable amount of sag. Once stretched out like this, the polypro straps, which have low-memory stretch, will never again have excessive stretch.  Is it possible your hammock hasen't yet been sufficiently stretched out and you are pitching it excessively tight in an effort to keep your butt off the ground?

      This is just a stab in the dark and may not be your actual problem. I really do hope you find the right solution--let us know how it's going...Ed