Re: [Hammock Camping] How to remove tree sap from tarp?

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2006
      I used "WORKS" in the spray bottle to clean pine sap off one hanging strap that went around a white pine.

      I would like to hear what to use on the tarp too.

      Ed M
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2006
        > What do you recommend doing to remove tree sap from a nylon tarp?

        Assuming pine sap, the answer is...nothing.

        Anything that will dissolve the pine tree sap will dissolve the silicone on
        a sil-nylon tarp.

        You can remove tree sap from UNCOATED nylon with straight acetone. Acetone
        will not hurt nylon.

        If you must remove the tree sap from coated nylon, use acetone. This will
        strip the silicone off the nylon. Don't use too much, and be careful.

        Then, where you have stripped the silicone off the nylon, take a small dab
        of clear silicone and apply it to a putty knife and scrape the silicone into
        the nylon. Use a perfectly flat and smooth surface under the nylon - like a
        piece of glass.

        You will wind up with a patch that will be slightly less flexible than the
        tarp itself, but that's OK for some folks. I do patch jobs this way and it
        works fine and lasts a long time.

        If the sap is a sugar tree sap - like maple or oak - you can remove the sap
        with regular soap and some careful cleaning.

        Hope that helps.

        Shane