Intro and questions

  • Carl F
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      Hi all. I am new to hammocking, but I have been lurking on the list
      for about a year now. Can't say thanks enough for all the help and
      information this list has provided already. I live in SW Ohio and
      enjoy backpacking, hunting pheasant and geocaching. I have 2 teen
      age boys who sometimes tag along. I have been camping since I was a
      scout and have started to get deeper into backpacking. Since I have
      had 2 back operations I figured what better way to sleep on the
      trail than in a hammock? So I have been lurking here and
      experimenting at home.

      I recently took a stab at making my first hammock. I used the same
      2 layer design as Risk's Z hammock. At first the fabric ($1 a yard
      at Wal-mart) slipped through the whipping, so I sewed a thin sleeve
      along the ends of the hammock. Through these sleeves, I threaded a
      lenght of cord. I cinched the cord as tightly as possible to gather
      the end and tied it off with a square knot. I whipped the fabric
      behind this bunched up fabric and then attached 1" poly straps with
      the loop method. This method solved the slipping fabric problem,
      but seems to leave the sides too loose. My fist hammock is only
      about 40" wide and the sides do not wrap my shoulders the way I
      think they should.

      I then tried the method Just Jeff desbibed of gathering the ends and
      pulling the edges out a little before F\folding over and attaching
      straps with a double sheetbend. The were higher, but climbing in
      and out of the hammock put a lot of stress on the sides. In fact,
      my test hammock ripped on one side near the knot.

      So, now my question? How do you guys and gals deal with this when
      making your hammocks?

      I guess this is one of the reasons Hennessy Hammocks have a bottom
      entry.

      What do you all think?

      I'll post pics in an album called Brdshootr on the Yahoo site.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
        Congrats on making your first hammock, and welcome to the forum!

        The TestHammock is meant to be just that - a test to see if you like
        it. It's not very strong b/c the sides aren't hemmed, and that's why
        it failed when you put too much force on the side. If you put a
        rolled hem on the long sides, they won't rip when you get in and out -
        that side might stretch a bit, but it shouldn't rip unless your
        material is too light.

        Jeff
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
          The high sides are a little tricky. Sometimes I straddle mine and make
          sure to put my rear in the bottom of the hammock first. Or at least
          make sure to spread the fabric wide and put my rear in the middle of it
          while lowering myslef to a sitting position. Hanging the hammock nice
          and low makes all of this easier. I have not ever torn the edge of my
          double layer 1.1 oz RN hammock, but it does concern me a little.

          Bill in Houston