[Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock support/ webbing strength?

  • Tom Caldwell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Narrow straps: Ratchet strap tie downs from the automotive section
      > in
      > > WalMart. I've even seen them in camo for you stealth campers.
      >
      > I looked at these...I agree that they'd probably work, and the
      > breaking strength was listed on the package but I don't remember what
      > it was. I think the cheapest I could find for the right length was
      > about $17.
      >
      > Then I checked Ed's and $17 will buy over 85' (not including
      > shipping). So I got 50' rolls and had them shipped with other things
      > I was already buying.
      >
      > Jeff

      I am totally new to hammocks, but I've already learned it's time for
      some longer tree straps, especially since I don't have any small trees
      in my yard. I had thought about cutting up some tie down straps to.
      I already know 4 of the cheapest Wal-Mart ones hold a canoe on top of
      my vehicle at 75 mph.

      I am curious about what type of thread to use for sewing the ends?

      Tom