Re: Hammock Stands

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 5, 2006
      Risk had some at imrisk.com

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Stuhr" <tstuhr@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for good designs for simple, compact hammock stands.
      >
      > tim

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 18, 2006
        Several of you mention your hammock stands - someone said "pipe hammock
        stand." An archive search didn't show me a "how to build your own
        hammock stand."

        This is pricey....anyone have instructions? Cost of materials?

        http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/byvahast.html

        thanks
        sandy in miami
      • n8mgmarty
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 18, 2006
          Sandy and others, Ed Speers has a list and diagram of a water pipe
          hammock stand. Water pipe while not real cheap is quite a bit more
          cheaper than Gas rated pipe (sometimes called Black Pipe).

          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm

          At just over 100 dollars it's not cheap but then if you do not have
          any trees and still want to hang at home or other places without ample
          supports this will get it done.
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 18, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer" <sandykayak@...>
            wrote:

            > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/byvahast.html

            That's the one I have - my wife said it better look good if I wanted
            it in the sunroom, and I didn't trust my handyman skills enough to
            make one that she'd approve of...

            Here's a homemade one for $25, though.
            http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

            Jeff
          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 18, 2006
              awesome!! Fl state parks don't allow you to tie anything to a tree,
              so I'll check out these links. thanks a lot.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "n8mgmarty" <martin275@...>
              wrote:

              > Sandy and others, Ed Speers has a list and diagram of a water pipe
              > hammock stand. Water pipe while not real cheap is quite a bit more
              > cheaper than Gas rated pipe (sometimes called Black Pipe).
              >
              > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
              >
              > At just over 100 dollars it's not cheap but then if you do not have
              > any trees and still want to hang at home or other places without ample
              > supports this will get it done.

            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 18, 2006
                Makes it tough to backpack very far however. I wish we could use 2" webbing
                or something that you could actually get in a pack.

                wrote:

                > Sandy and others, Ed Speers has a list and diagram of a water pipe
                > hammock stand. Water pipe while not real cheap is quite a bit more
                > cheaper than Gas rated pipe (sometimes called Black Pipe).
                >
                > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
                >
                > At just over 100 dollars it's not cheap but then if you do not have
                > any trees and still want to hang at home or other places without ample
                > supports this will get it done.

              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 19, 2006
                  Good luck making one for $25 now days with the price of lumber. I made
                  the "Risk" stand with a few modifications for holding a tarp. Here's
                  some pics. http://community.webshots.com/user/stoikurt

                  I painted mine to help protect it from the weather. At Lowe's I looked
                  at the miscolored paints and got a quart that was a light gray tint for
                  about $5.

                  I also set mine up in a spare bedroom at home and jump in it for a quick
                  nap.

                  Stoikurt

                • Wynne Eden
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 19, 2006
                    Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will
                    support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an
                    ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you want.

                    Even if you use a half bag of concrete in each hole, you are talking
                    about less than an hour's work and $30 or so.

                    Wynne
                    18th c. hammock hanger, kayaker, backpacker, historical trekker and
                    general gadabout. (what is a gadabout, anyway?)
                    Americus, GA

                    wrote:

                    > At just over 100 dollars it's not cheap but then if you do not have
                    > any trees and still want to hang at home or other places without
                    ample
                    > supports this will get it done.

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 19, 2006
                      On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@...> wrote:

                      > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will
                      > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an
                      > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you want.

                      a couple of 4 foot long 2 by 4s on top of the ground with 2 guy lines each
                      carefully staked in will also work. About $10

                      Ralph Oborn

                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 19, 2006
                        That is a good idea. This would be great for my backyard. Now if only I
                        could make a portable hanger that I could fold up and put in my car trunk.

                        --
                        Scott
                        http://hacktorious.blogspot.com/

                        On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@...> wrote:

                        > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will
                        > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an
                        > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you want.
                        >
                        > Even if you use a half bag of concrete in each hole, you are talking
                        > about less than an hour's work and $30 or so.
                        >
                        > Wynne
                        > 18th c. hammock hanger, kayaker, backpacker, historical trekker and
                        > general gadabout. (what is a gadabout, anyway?)
                        > Americus, GA

                        > "n8mgmarty" <martin275@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > At just over 100 dollars it's not cheap but then if you do not have
                        > > any trees and still want to hang at home or other places without
                        > ample
                        > > supports this will get it done.

                      • dexstrom
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 19, 2006
                          Since I don't have trees in my yard, I looked for a stand and found a
                          nice one at K-Mart for ~$70 that folds up for storage which is
                          nice. It comes with a woven cloth beach type of hammock, but is
                          long enough to hang my zhammock. I don't know about hanging a tarp
                          along with the hammock, haven't tried that, and it's too heavy for
                          anything more than car camping trips and the back yard.

                          Daniel

                          Kramer" <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                          > Several of you mention your hammock stands - someone said "pipe
                          hammock
                          > stand." An archive search didn't show me a "how to build your own
                          > hammock stand."
                          >
                          > This is pricey....anyone have instructions? Cost of materials?
                          >
                          > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/byvahast.html
                          >
                          > thanks
                          > sandy in miami

                        • Steve Sells
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 12, 2007
                            Do the commercial stands mentioned in prior postings allow for a full
                            set up of a Hennessey or Spears with bug nets and tarp canopy?? Thanks
                            Twodogs
                          • hacktorious
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
                              Hi gang,
                              It has been a long since I have posted to this forum, but I am glad to
                              be back. I have recently been experimenting with some homemade hammock
                              stands. Further info is in my blog: http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

                              I was wondering how reliable the method of two 4' 2x4's really is?
                              Has anyone in this group ever tried this with two boards? If so, what
                              are you using for stakes? My biggest challenge is to find stakes
                              worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.

                              Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
                              http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm

                              I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
                              it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
                              of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
                              my Honda Civic... :)

                              --
                              scott
                              www.poisoninganation.com

                              > On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will
                              > > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an
                              > > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you
                              want.

                              > a couple of 4 foot long 2 by 4s on top of the ground with 2 guy
                              lines each
                              > carefully staked in will also work. About $10
                              >

                              > Ralph Oborn

                            • Douglas Campbell
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
                                In an earlier post, someone used a simple long pole that was supported on
                                the ends by two window sills. They then attached the hammock lines to the
                                ends of the pole. The pole was rigid enough to withstand the compression of
                                the hammock trying to pull the ends to the middle. The window sills simply
                                had to support half the weight of the person in the hammock plus half the
                                weight of the pole. It seems like this would be a great place to start with
                                a design of a hammock stand that would be inexpensive and portable. The
                                supports would not have to be as sturdy as some designs. Tripods?
                                rope-staked bipods? Two SUV's (with padding on the ends of the poles)? Two
                                really strong guys with nothing to do? Two bunkbeds? You get the idea. All
                                the weight and strength would be in the horizontal pole. Just my two cents
                                worth.

                                Doug Campbell

                                On 2/5/08, hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:

                                > Hi gang,
                                > It has been a long since I have posted to this forum, but I am glad to
                                > be back. I have recently been experimenting with some homemade hammock
                                > stands. Further info is in my blog: http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/
                                >
                                > I was wondering how reliable the method of two 4' 2x4's really is?
                                > Has anyone in this group ever tried this with two boards? If so, what
                                > are you using for stakes? My biggest challenge is to find stakes
                                > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
                                >
                                > Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
                                > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
                                >
                                > I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
                                > it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
                                > of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
                                > my Honda Civic... :)
                                >
                                > --
                                > scott
                                > www.poisoninganation.com

                                > "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will
                                > > > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an
                                > > > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you
                                > want.
                                > >

                                > > a couple of 4 foot long 2 by 4s on top of the ground with 2 guy
                                > lines each
                                > > carefully staked in will also work. About $10
                                > >

                                > > Ralph Oborn

                              • Dar
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
                                  Shorter Ridgepole Pipes

                                  If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
                                  ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
                                  the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
                                  Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
                                  of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
                                  high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
                                  stand-up shelter!

                                  --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:

                                  [snip]

                                  > Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
                                  > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
                                  >
                                  > I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
                                  > it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
                                  > of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
                                  > my Honda Civic

                                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                • Scott
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
                                    Yes, that seems to be the way to go. I have an HH and my fly connects
                                    right to my straps, and I typically don't put it any higher. However,
                                    having the option to do so is attractive.
                                    --
                                    Scott
                                    If man made it, don't eat it!!!

                                    Quoting Dar <rigpilot@...>:

                                    > Shorter Ridgepole Pipes
                                    >
                                    > If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
                                    > ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
                                    > the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
                                    > Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
                                    > of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
                                    > high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
                                    > stand-up shelter!
                                    >

                                    > --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > [snip]
                                    >
                                    >> Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
                                    >> http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
                                    >>
                                    >> I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
                                    >> it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
                                    >> of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
                                    >> my Honda Civic

                                    > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

                                  • Arye P. R.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
                                      hi scott

                                      the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
                                      <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/> either the spiral or winged stright ones
                                      Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.

                                      Sapere Aude,
                                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                                      It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

                                      Albert Einstein

                                      --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@ ...>

                                      wrote:

                                      > On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@.. .> wrote:

                                      > > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will

                                      > > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an

                                      > > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you

                                      want.

                                      > a couple of 4 foot long 2 by 4s on top of the ground with 2 guy

                                      lines each

                                      > carefully staked in will also work. About $10

                                      > Ralph Oborn

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-mkp{
                                      #ygrp-mkp hr{
                                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                                      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                                      margin-bottom:10px;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                                      padding:0 0;}
                                      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                                      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                                      -->

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                                      font-family:Arial;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                                      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                                      -->

                                      <!--

                                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                      #ygrp-text{
                                      font-family:Georgia;
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-text p{
                                      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                      font-family:Arial;
                                      clear:both;}
                                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                      padding:0 1px;}
                                      #ygrp-actbar{
                                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                      #ygrp-grft{
                                      #ygrp-ft{
                                      padding:5px 0;
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                      padding-bottom:10px;}

                                      #ygrp-vital{
                                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                      }
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                      font-weight:bold;}
                                      #ygrp-vital a{
                                      text-decoration:none;}

                                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                      text-decoration:underline;}

                                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                      padding:8px 0;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                      text-decoration:none;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                      text-decoration:underline;}
                                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                      margin:0;}
                                      o{font-size:0;}
                                      .MsoNormal{
                                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                                      #ygrp-text tt{
                                      font-size:120%;}
                                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                      .replbq{margin:4;}
                                      -->

                                    • Bill Keiser
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                                        > . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
                                        > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
                                        >
                                        > scott

                                        see my diagram i posted a while back:
                                        (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
                                        i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
                                        how circus tents are staked.
                                        i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
                                        uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
                                        shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
                                        straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
                                        have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
                                        that will break before the tarp fails.)
                                        i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
                                        might hold up a hammock.
                                        btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
                                        hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
                                        might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
                                        between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
                                        keep it in place.

                                        also see these threads:
                                        billy sharpstick
                                      • Scott
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                                          How do you hook two together? Do you have any photo's?

                                          I imagine you connect them with a chain or something?
                                          --

                                          Quoting "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...>:

                                          > hi scott
                                          >
                                          > the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've
                                          > been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
                                          > <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/>
                                          > either the spiral or winged stright ones
                                          > Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.
                                          >
                                          > Sapere Aude,
                                          > Arye P. Rubenstein
                                          >

                                          > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
                                          > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
                                          >
                                          > Albert Einstein

                                        • Scott
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                                            Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
                                            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

                                            I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
                                            photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
                                            a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
                                            --

                                          • eilismaura@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                                              I would love more info on this