RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock support/ webbing strength?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
      Dean, thanks for the useful info on webbings suitable for hammocks. Sounds
      like you did do a lot of research-your discussion of nylon stretch is right
      on and explains why I avoid nylon in 1" widths. But for everyone's safety,
      I'd like to clarify something. Most 1" webbing straps sold in fabric retail
      stores are NOT strong enough for hammock straps. To be safe, you MUST know
      the correct breaking strength if using 1" wide webbing. I recommend a
      minimum breaking strength of at least 600 lbs for a 1" wide strap,
      irrespective of the material. But I've found that many, and perhaps most,
      clerks in retail fabric stores don't know the breaking strength of the
      webbing on their shelves-it's not marked on the packing and some clerks will
      even make up an answer to please the customer. Since so much
      "off-the-shelf-1"- webbing" has a breaking strength of only 100 to 350 lbs,
      this can be disastrous for hammock use. This issue really is serious and
      it's "Buyer Be Aware".

      So, there is a market for cut lengths of low breaking strength 1" webbing
      (you can find it in all fabric stores); but there isn't much of a market for
      cut lengths of high breaking strength 1" webbing. How can a buyer be sure?
      1) Avoid retail fabric sources that don't list breaking strengths-and be
      suspicious if they do list the strength; 2) Buy +600 lb 1" webbing direct
      from a manufacturer (generally min of 500 yds!); 3) Buy from a reputable
      source with proven safety history-yea, like Speer Hammocks.

      As all long term members of this List know, I don't use the List to promote
      my own stuff-so I feel I need to explain here. I reframe from promoting my
      products here because I started this List as a free & unbiased exchange of
      info by hammock campers-not as an advertising opportunity for Speer Hammocks
      or any other hammock manufacturer. The folks using this List are doing a
      fine job of sharing and exchanging information-thank you for your input.
      But this issue of webbing strength is too serious for me to ignore. Most
      everyone is interested in using lightweight, tree-friendly hanging straps
      that won't break-finding them isn't impossible, but can be difficult.

      Be safe out there..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
        Here's a couple thoughts on sources for webbing.

        Wide straps: Boat winch straps from WalMart or most any boating dealer.
        Just cut the hook off and stitch to your desired lengths.

        Narrow straps: Ratchet strap tie downs from the automotive section in
        WalMart. I've even seen them in camo for you stealth campers.

        I think either of these should be plenty strong enough to do the job.

        Tim
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote:

          > Narrow straps: Ratchet strap tie downs from the automotive section
          in
          > WalMart. I've even seen them in camo for you stealth campers.

          I looked at these...I agree that they'd probably work, and the
          breaking strength was listed on the package but I don't remember what
          it was. I think the cheapest I could find for the right length was
          about $17.

          Then I checked Ed's and $17 will buy over 85' (not including
          shipping). So I got 50' rolls and had them shipped with other things
          I was already buying.

          Jeff
        • Tom Caldwell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Narrow straps: Ratchet strap tie downs from the automotive section
            > in
            > > WalMart. I've even seen them in camo for you stealth campers.
            >
            > I looked at these...I agree that they'd probably work, and the
            > breaking strength was listed on the package but I don't remember what
            > it was. I think the cheapest I could find for the right length was
            > about $17.
            >
            > Then I checked Ed's and $17 will buy over 85' (not including
            > shipping). So I got 50' rolls and had them shipped with other things
            > I was already buying.
            >
            > Jeff

            I am totally new to hammocks, but I've already learned it's time for
            some longer tree straps, especially since I don't have any small trees
            in my yard. I had thought about cutting up some tie down straps to.
            I already know 4 of the cheapest Wal-Mart ones hold a canoe on top of
            my vehicle at 75 mph.

            I am curious about what type of thread to use for sewing the ends?

            Tom