Tree straps

  • Jim & Marlis Greenway
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12 5:32 PM
      I remember that someone very briefly mentioned the possibility of seat-belt
      type material for tree straps. Is that a good fabric material for tree
      straps? Just seemed as if the wider material would give you more "gription"
      on the bark than narrower ones.

      Thanks,
      Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12 6:09 PM
        Message
        You're right Jim, the wider the strap, the greater the gripping power. It's just a balance between weight, bulk, stretch and 'do no harm to trees'. I use 1' wide, +600 lb test, low-memory stretch, polypropylene webbing since it is a suitable compromise for backpacking. Wider seat belt webbing would work even better--in fact, it would protect the tender bark of young trees even better than my straps--I avoid trees less than 4" diameter for this very reason. If weight and bulk are not a concern (such as car camping)--seat belt webbing should work OK...Ed

        Message 3 of 3 , May 12 6:30 PM
          > I remember that someone very briefly mentioned the possibility of
          > seat-belt type material for tree straps. Is that a good fabric
          > material for tree straps? Just seemed as if the wider material
          > would give you more "gription" on the bark than narrower ones.

          I think that it works very well. The Safari I have came with 'seatbelt'
          webbing straps that were quite soft and supple. I suppose you could cut
          some out of a junkyard...

          Shane