Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock support lines

  • kbwaddy
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 2, 2006
      be careful with anything made out of technora, several companies (bluewater
      for sure) have quit using it because when knots are weighted and then untied
      the fibers where the knot was are permanently damaged and weakened in
      that spot. technora is not the same as spectra, usually when cord is technora
      or spectra or vectran or whatever, they are talking about the core, the sheath
      is almost always something less high-tech like polyester, polypro, or
      something similar. i don't know if body weight would be enough to cause
      failure, but if you're already using a weaker cord for weight reduction
      purposes, this might be a concern.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
      wrote:

      > Aside from the controversy about tying to trees, I wanted to expand on
      > Risk's assessment of issues using thin diameter cord to hang a hammock.
      >
      > I use 3mm and 4mm Technora T100 to hang my hammocks, and noticed
      early
      > on that the thin cord was going to damage the fabric of my hammock (I
      > had tied it using a double sheet bend to the hammock). I also broke 1
      > inch polypro webbing to which the 3mm cord was tied, supporting Risk's
      > belief that the thin cord would ultimately cut through webbing, at
      > least the narrower polypropylene webbing I was using.
      >
      > To prevent these problems, I used 4' of 1 inch tubular nylon webbing
      > at each end of the hammock, doubled over and attached using a slipped
      > double sheet bend to create a 'hammock hugger' loop. I use 1.5 inch
      > and 2 inch (depending on which hammock I am using at the time) polypro
      > webbing as tree huggers, to which I clip a heavy aluminum carabiner (I
      > run the webbing through the biner twice). The webbing ends are secured
      > using side release buckles. The tree hugger webbing is 10' long,
      > allowing me to double-wrap any tree up to almost 2' in diameter.
      > Double wraps are necessary imo to take load off the buckle.
      >
      > The T100 Technora (which is Spectra core, I believe) is tied at the
      > hammock loop using a clinch knot, wrapped through the 'eye' of the
      > loop twice before finishing. It is tied to the biner using the
      > figure-8 Hennessey wrap.
      >
      > With this (admittedly not hyper-light) arrangement, I avoid webbing,
      > tree and fabric damage and have lightweight cords that are super
      > strong and almost stretch-free. After several nights, I see no damage
      > being inflicted on the tubular nylon webbing loops on the hammocks,
      > and the biners are very kind to the tree huggers.
      >
      > Pictures posted under Jonas4321. Sorry for the blurry one... the
      > clinch knot is an easy one to find on the web, and other knots could
      > be used.
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@>
      wrote:

      > > Hi all,
      > > I picked up some 2mm spectra line today to try out as
      > > the hammock support ropes of my in-progress warm
      > > hammock. I wanted to get the 3mm (rated to 400kg) but
      > > they were out. This stuff is rated to 280kg. Will this
      > > be sufficient to use safely on the hammock?

    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris