Re: mini trip report on Ga AT

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      Many thanks! This is the closest to what I think I saw:
      http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/25833724 . Wish I had of taken
      some photos, would especially like to see one with the green fan like
      thing.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ksbioteacher"
      <bioteacher@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > Do a google image search for "ichneumon wasp". I think you'll find
      > one of the images close to the wasps that you observed. The "whip"
      is
      > their ovipositor and the actually can drill through more than an
      inch
      > of hardwood to lay eggs in beetle larvae. They are cool. The
      entire
      > family parasitizes other insects which is why they really weren't
      > interested in you.
      >
      > BW
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
      wrote:

      > > One thing I forgot to mention was a group of insects we saw on a
      dead
      > > tree at Blue Mountain Shelter. I couldn't believe what we were
      > > seeing. They were black wasp like insects with some yellow
      markings,
      > > stinger, extended bodies that were maybe 2 or 3 inches long and
      they
      > > would slowly extend a green fan like thing from there rear and
      then
      > > slowly retract it. They also had a long black whip that extended
      off
      > > their rear that was 4 to 6 inches long that they may have been
      using to
      > > pierce the tree, I couldn't tell for sure. When they were on the
      tree
      > > they sometimes curled it around near their heads but when they
      flew it
      > > dropped down straight and sort of dragged behind them. I didn't
      have
      > > my camera and didn't get a picture but it didn't look like
      something
      > > that quite belonged here. At one time there where about 9 of us
      > > gathered around them and one guy stayed pretty close to them with
      his
      > > camera for a while, they never payed us any attention.
      > >
      > > Dave

    • Bryce Nerland
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Please remove me from the group. Thanks.

        Bryce