Re: mini trip report on Ga AT

  • ksbioteacher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      Dave,

      Do a google image search for "ichneumon wasp". I think you'll find
      one of the images close to the wasps that you observed. The "whip" is
      their ovipositor and the actually can drill through more than an inch
      of hardwood to lay eggs in beetle larvae. They are cool. The entire
      family parasitizes other insects which is why they really weren't
      interested in you.

      BW

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Many thanks! This is the closest to what I think I saw:
        http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/25833724 . Wish I had of taken
        some photos, would especially like to see one with the green fan like
        thing.

        Dave

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ksbioteacher"
        <bioteacher@...> wrote:

        > Dave,
        >
        > Do a google image search for "ichneumon wasp". I think you'll find
        > one of the images close to the wasps that you observed. The "whip"
        is
        > their ovipositor and the actually can drill through more than an
        inch
        > of hardwood to lay eggs in beetle larvae. They are cool. The
        entire
        > family parasitizes other insects which is why they really weren't
        > interested in you.
        >
        > BW
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
        wrote:

        > > One thing I forgot to mention was a group of insects we saw on a
        dead
        > > tree at Blue Mountain Shelter. I couldn't believe what we were
        > > seeing. They were black wasp like insects with some yellow
        markings,
        > > stinger, extended bodies that were maybe 2 or 3 inches long and
        they
        > > would slowly extend a green fan like thing from there rear and
        then
        > > slowly retract it. They also had a long black whip that extended
        off
        > > their rear that was 4 to 6 inches long that they may have been
        using to
        > > pierce the tree, I couldn't tell for sure. When they were on the
        tree
        > > they sometimes curled it around near their heads but when they
        flew it
        > > dropped down straight and sort of dragged behind them. I didn't
        have
        > > my camera and didn't get a picture but it didn't look like
        something
        > > that quite belonged here. At one time there where about 9 of us
        > > gathered around them and one guy stayed pretty close to them with
        his
        > > camera for a while, they never payed us any attention.
        > >
        > > Dave

      • Bryce Nerland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          Please remove me from the group. Thanks.

          Bryce