Re: mini trip report on Ga AT

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      One thing I forgot to mention was a group of insects we saw on a dead
      tree at Blue Mountain Shelter. I couldn't believe what we were
      seeing. They were black wasp like insects with some yellow markings,
      stinger, extended bodies that were maybe 2 or 3 inches long and they
      would slowly extend a green fan like thing from there rear and then
      slowly retract it. They also had a long black whip that extended off
      their rear that was 4 to 6 inches long that they may have been using to
      pierce the tree, I couldn't tell for sure. When they were on the tree
      they sometimes curled it around near their heads but when they flew it
      dropped down straight and sort of dragged behind them. I didn't have
      my camera and didn't get a picture but it didn't look like something
      that quite belonged here. At one time there where about 9 of us
      gathered around them and one guy stayed pretty close to them with his
      camera for a while, they never payed us any attention.

      Dave
    • ksbioteacher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Dave,

        Do a google image search for "ichneumon wasp". I think you'll find
        one of the images close to the wasps that you observed. The "whip" is
        their ovipositor and the actually can drill through more than an inch
        of hardwood to lay eggs in beetle larvae. They are cool. The entire
        family parasitizes other insects which is why they really weren't
        interested in you.

        BW

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          Many thanks! This is the closest to what I think I saw:
          http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/25833724 . Wish I had of taken
          some photos, would especially like to see one with the green fan like
          thing.

          Dave

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ksbioteacher"
          <bioteacher@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > Do a google image search for "ichneumon wasp". I think you'll find
          > one of the images close to the wasps that you observed. The "whip"
          is
          > their ovipositor and the actually can drill through more than an
          inch
          > of hardwood to lay eggs in beetle larvae. They are cool. The
          entire
          > family parasitizes other insects which is why they really weren't
          > interested in you.
          >
          > BW
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
          wrote:

          > > One thing I forgot to mention was a group of insects we saw on a
          dead
          > > tree at Blue Mountain Shelter. I couldn't believe what we were
          > > seeing. They were black wasp like insects with some yellow
          markings,
          > > stinger, extended bodies that were maybe 2 or 3 inches long and
          they
          > > would slowly extend a green fan like thing from there rear and
          then
          > > slowly retract it. They also had a long black whip that extended
          off
          > > their rear that was 4 to 6 inches long that they may have been
          using to
          > > pierce the tree, I couldn't tell for sure. When they were on the
          tree
          > > they sometimes curled it around near their heads but when they
          flew it
          > > dropped down straight and sort of dragged behind them. I didn't
          have
          > > my camera and didn't get a picture but it didn't look like
          something
          > > that quite belonged here. At one time there where about 9 of us
          > > gathered around them and one guy stayed pretty close to them with
          his
          > > camera for a while, they never payed us any attention.
          > >
          > > Dave

        • Bryce Nerland
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
            Please remove me from the group. Thanks.

            Bryce