[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock support lines

  • kbwaddy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      land managers won't hesitate to ban any activity they percieve as a problem,
      where i live, it seems the kiosks list almost every activity as being "not
      allowed" sometimes i half expect to see signs banning people all together
      when i go to these places, it wouldn't surprise me. whoever mentioned
      "percieved damage" was right, it probably doesn't even matter if you are really
      hurting the tree or not, rangers and land managers live to write tickets and
      ban activities, i think they actually enjoy it, and don't think you can hide from
      them just because you think you are stealth camping, they love to hide behind
      the bushes and then sneak up on you just as you are breaking a rule. as i've
      seen in the climbing community the actions of a few can adversly affect
      everyone, so if we decide that tree straps are the way to go, we should really
      push everyone to use them, because it only takes a few people to ruin things
      for everyone. i just checked and yatesgear.com(yates climbing gear) has
      spectra/dyneema webbing for 80 cents/foot...Brandon

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <
      Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

      > > So if a little bark falls off, big deal. Once another tornado hits my
      > > little town that tree might not be there.
      >
      > Yes, but some over-zealous park official isn't going to propose (and
      > probably get passed) a regulation banning tornados and hurricanes
      > from state or national parks. But let a little tree damage from
      > hammocks occur, and see if this doesn't happen. The fault of your
      > analogy is that natural disasters (you didn't mention forest fires)
      > are unavoidable, while much more minor damage (or even perceived
      > damage) from hammocks is avoidable by passing a regulation. As one
      > who used to write regulations for a natural resources agency, I know
      > of which I speak -- if your only tool is a hammer, every problem
      > seems like a nail. And if your only tool is prohibition . . . .
      >

      > Hey,
      > Before I knew about tree huggers, I got harrased in Yellowstone by a
      > backwoods ranger for harming tree bark with a cheep string hammock. He
      > failed to see the humor when I pointed out that most of the bark had been
      > stripped off by bears sharpening their claws on said bark!! :]
      >

      > Bears, tornadoes, bark beetles etc = natural = good
      >
      > You and me in a hammock = un natural = bad
      >
      > And they don't have a sense of humor! Use a tree hugger, it shows them
      you
      > understand the issue and are attempting to trad lightly.
      >
      > Ralph

    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
        You're saying that being human is not natural? Oh, man...

        Dude, this planet has sustained far more damage than we humans can
        ever do. I don't want get into this too deeply, but I just don't
        believe humans are powerful enough to destory a planet. Life will go
        on. Whether you believe with creat6ion or evolution this planet was
        doing just fine without us. Even with us in it it's still doing fine,
        there fine whole se species of animals, big animals we've never scene
        before, coral reves that we've never seen before despite all the
        "polution."

        Life will go on despite what we do. As if we really have control over
        what happens in this universe.

        Anyway. You belive differently from me that's fine. I'm done talking
        about this.