Re: Hammock support/ webbing strength?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "danefliedner"
      <danefliedner@...> wrote:

      > hammocks...(mostly so I can go with my kid, so I have taken
      > inspiration from Jeff's site with what he has done for his boys).

      So glad you found it useful. This past weekend I took my youngest
      backpacking, and he's outgrown the kids hammock. Time to make him a
      full-sized one, I guess.

      If anyone needs the kids one, it's probably good for kids up to 3.5'
      tall or so. You pay shipping and it's yours. Hammock body and
      whipping only...I'm gonna recycle the supports.

      Jeff
    • dt51357
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
        > How does one know the
        difference in break strength to order the right stuff? I don't want to
        buy the low break stuff and have a hammock disaster.

        I did some research a while ago on webbing strength. I have misplaced
        it, of course, but I think I remember the main conclusions. Breaking
        strengths vary so the weave does matter, but only if the webbing is
        less than 1". Webbing is strong, so any webbing that's wide enough to
        protect the trees will be strong enough. Nylon is strongest (except
        for spectra, dyneema, kevlar and the like) but it stretches,
        especially when wet. Polyester is almost as strong as nylon and
        doesn't stretch much. Seat belt straps are 2" polyester and have a
        breaking strength of something like 10,000 lb or so. I don't know of a
        good source for seat belt strap material, though. Polypropylene is the
        cheapest and the weakest but even it is strong enough if it's 1" or
        more. Some polypro strapping is a bit marginal on strength, though.
        It's strong enough but doesn't give as big a safety margin as nylon or
        polyester.

        Basically, any 2" strap is overkill on strength and very easy on the
        trees. Any 1" strap is strong enough. Narrower strapping should be
        nylon or polyester.

        > spectra/dyneema webbing for 80 cents/foot...

        That's a bit of overkill. Any webbing that's wide enough to work as a
        tree-hugger is strong enough. No need to pay extra. Although, it
        wouldn't stretch would it? Hmmm...

        My $0.02

        Dean
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dt51357" <dt51357@...> wrote:

          > I don't know of a
          > good source for seat belt strap material, though.

          Try a junkyard.