Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock support/ webbing strength?

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      For a trouble free answer just buy the webbing from Ed. I bought some
      to make longer tree huggers for my H.H. He sells it buy the foot.

      JFF

      On Jun 1, 2006, at 1:25 PM, danefliedner wrote:

      Howdy-- I have a related (sorta) question. I have a HH but have
      recently bought Ed Speer's book to play around with making some
      hammocks...(mostly so I can go with my kid, so I have taken
      inspiration from Jeff's site with what he has done for his boys).
      Anyway, in Ed's book he recommends 1" polypropylene webbing tested to
      like 600 pounds. OK fine, but when I checked on OWF, Quest, etc, they
      don't list the breaking strength of the webbing, only the width and
      whether it is a loose vs tight weave, etc. How does one know the
      difference in break strength to order the right stuff? I don't want to
      buy the low break stuff and have a hammock disaster. Any wisdom?
      Thanks! Dane

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

      ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
        wrote:

        > For a trouble free answer just buy the webbing from Ed...He sells it
        buy the foot.

        Yep - he rarely plugs his own stuff, so here's his site:
        http://speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

        Scroll all the way down - it's about the 5th product from the bottom.

        Jeff
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "danefliedner"
          <danefliedner@...> wrote:

          > hammocks...(mostly so I can go with my kid, so I have taken
          > inspiration from Jeff's site with what he has done for his boys).

          So glad you found it useful. This past weekend I took my youngest
          backpacking, and he's outgrown the kids hammock. Time to make him a
          full-sized one, I guess.

          If anyone needs the kids one, it's probably good for kids up to 3.5'
          tall or so. You pay shipping and it's yours. Hammock body and
          whipping only...I'm gonna recycle the supports.

          Jeff
        • dt51357
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
            > How does one know the
            difference in break strength to order the right stuff? I don't want to
            buy the low break stuff and have a hammock disaster.

            I did some research a while ago on webbing strength. I have misplaced
            it, of course, but I think I remember the main conclusions. Breaking
            strengths vary so the weave does matter, but only if the webbing is
            less than 1". Webbing is strong, so any webbing that's wide enough to
            protect the trees will be strong enough. Nylon is strongest (except
            for spectra, dyneema, kevlar and the like) but it stretches,
            especially when wet. Polyester is almost as strong as nylon and
            doesn't stretch much. Seat belt straps are 2" polyester and have a
            breaking strength of something like 10,000 lb or so. I don't know of a
            good source for seat belt strap material, though. Polypropylene is the
            cheapest and the weakest but even it is strong enough if it's 1" or
            more. Some polypro strapping is a bit marginal on strength, though.
            It's strong enough but doesn't give as big a safety margin as nylon or
            polyester.

            Basically, any 2" strap is overkill on strength and very easy on the
            trees. Any 1" strap is strong enough. Narrower strapping should be
            nylon or polyester.

            > spectra/dyneema webbing for 80 cents/foot...

            That's a bit of overkill. Any webbing that's wide enough to work as a
            tree-hugger is strong enough. No need to pay extra. Although, it
            wouldn't stretch would it? Hmmm...

            My $0.02

            Dean
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dt51357" <dt51357@...> wrote:

              > I don't know of a
              > good source for seat belt strap material, though.

              Try a junkyard.