Hammock support/ webbing strength?

  • danefliedner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      Howdy-- I have a related (sorta) question. I have a HH but have
      recently bought Ed Speer's book to play around with making some
      hammocks...(mostly so I can go with my kid, so I have taken
      inspiration from Jeff's site with what he has done for his boys).
      Anyway, in Ed's book he recommends 1" polypropylene webbing tested to
      like 600 pounds. OK fine, but when I checked on OWF, Quest, etc, they
      don't list the breaking strength of the webbing, only the width and
      whether it is a loose vs tight weave, etc. How does one know the
      difference in break strength to order the right stuff? I don't want to
      buy the low break stuff and have a hammock disaster. Any wisdom?
      Thanks! Dane
    • Joe Federici
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        For a trouble free answer just buy the webbing from Ed. I bought some
        to make longer tree huggers for my H.H. He sells it buy the foot.

        JFF

        On Jun 1, 2006, at 1:25 PM, danefliedner wrote:

        Howdy-- I have a related (sorta) question. I have a HH but have
        recently bought Ed Speer's book to play around with making some
        hammocks...(mostly so I can go with my kid, so I have taken
        inspiration from Jeff's site with what he has done for his boys).
        Anyway, in Ed's book he recommends 1" polypropylene webbing tested to
        like 600 pounds. OK fine, but when I checked on OWF, Quest, etc, they
        don't list the breaking strength of the webbing, only the width and
        whether it is a loose vs tight weave, etc. How does one know the
        difference in break strength to order the right stuff? I don't want to
        buy the low break stuff and have a hammock disaster. Any wisdom?
        Thanks! Dane

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

        ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
          wrote:

          > For a trouble free answer just buy the webbing from Ed...He sells it
          buy the foot.

          Yep - he rarely plugs his own stuff, so here's his site:
          http://speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

          Scroll all the way down - it's about the 5th product from the bottom.

          Jeff
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "danefliedner"
            <danefliedner@...> wrote:

            > hammocks...(mostly so I can go with my kid, so I have taken
            > inspiration from Jeff's site with what he has done for his boys).

            So glad you found it useful. This past weekend I took my youngest
            backpacking, and he's outgrown the kids hammock. Time to make him a
            full-sized one, I guess.

            If anyone needs the kids one, it's probably good for kids up to 3.5'
            tall or so. You pay shipping and it's yours. Hammock body and
            whipping only...I'm gonna recycle the supports.

            Jeff
          • dt51357
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
              > How does one know the
              difference in break strength to order the right stuff? I don't want to
              buy the low break stuff and have a hammock disaster.

              I did some research a while ago on webbing strength. I have misplaced
              it, of course, but I think I remember the main conclusions. Breaking
              strengths vary so the weave does matter, but only if the webbing is
              less than 1". Webbing is strong, so any webbing that's wide enough to
              protect the trees will be strong enough. Nylon is strongest (except
              for spectra, dyneema, kevlar and the like) but it stretches,
              especially when wet. Polyester is almost as strong as nylon and
              doesn't stretch much. Seat belt straps are 2" polyester and have a
              breaking strength of something like 10,000 lb or so. I don't know of a
              good source for seat belt strap material, though. Polypropylene is the
              cheapest and the weakest but even it is strong enough if it's 1" or
              more. Some polypro strapping is a bit marginal on strength, though.
              It's strong enough but doesn't give as big a safety margin as nylon or
              polyester.

              Basically, any 2" strap is overkill on strength and very easy on the
              trees. Any 1" strap is strong enough. Narrower strapping should be
              nylon or polyester.

              > spectra/dyneema webbing for 80 cents/foot...

              That's a bit of overkill. Any webbing that's wide enough to work as a
              tree-hugger is strong enough. No need to pay extra. Although, it
              wouldn't stretch would it? Hmmm...

              My $0.02

              Dean
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dt51357" <dt51357@...> wrote:

                > I don't know of a
                > good source for seat belt strap material, though.

                Try a junkyard.