Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock support lines

  • quiltpatti
    Message 1 of 43 , May 30 9:30 PM
      Bandon,
      Just sharing a bad rope experience I had.
      Don't just look at the bark for damage; make sure your trees still
      have leaves on them. Way back in the dark ages of hammock camping,
      before Spear or Hennessey hammock enlightenment and webbing tree
      straps, I used to camp in those 8 oz. nylon twisted string WalMart
      hammocks with it's 3/8th inch braided polypro suspension ropes,
      clove hitched around the trees. I happened to later return to two of
      the places that I hammocked, and to my horror the trees were dead!
      If I remember, they were small hardwood trees, probably only 6-8
      inches diam., and I don't remember the species. Tree straps seem to
      be safe for the trees. Maybe sometimes ropes are, but how are you
      going to know which rope, which knot, and which tree will be OK?
      Patti

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > wouldn't think markings this slight would be of any concern to the
      tree, as they
      > are probably due to having line around them for days on end and
      may not
      > even occur after a single nights use. do you know if scratches or
      dents in the
      > bark hurt the trees? do they heal? i disagree with you though, i
      don't think
      > going strapless is garanteed to hurt the tree though, like i said
      those dents are
      > from the lines being up for days on end, and the one with actual
      bark damage,
      > i'm pretty sure, is from poor setup(the line sliding down the tree
      a bit when first
      > weighted, which can happen with tree straps too) when i was
      experimenting
      > with different methods of strapless setup. the way i do it now is
      quite secure
      > and nothing moves upon the first weighting of a newly rigged
      hammock. i'm
      > not trying to argue with you though, no one wants hammocking
      banned from
      > anywhere or trees damaged, i'm just not convinced going strapless
      > necessairly does that....Brandon
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
      wrote:

      > > dennis... your not telling aris to wrap the 2mm line dirrectly
      around the tree...
      > are you?
      > > if so, that`s garenteed to cause tree damage that`s going
      to be a "black
      > eye" for the hammocking community. ...tim
      > >
      > > kbwaddy <kbwaddy@> wrote:
      > > Dennis, i've used some spectra rated to 560 lbs. it seems it
      was about
      > 2mm, i
      > > was unsure if it would be strong enough just like you so i
      decided to try and
      > > break it a few times. i was able to break it by bouncing in my
      > > hammock.(medium to heavy bouncing, i weigh 160 lbs. ) it
      obviously
      > always
      > > broke at a knot or a sharp bend. it seemed that it was more
      likely to break at
      > > the knott that was tied to the tree, so it seems that it is
      best to wrap the tree a
      > > couple of times(don't wrap the line and reverse direction like
      you see in ed's
      > > book, i broke it at that sharp bend as well.). wrap the tree a
      couple of times
      > all
      > > in the same direction, this puts all the weight on the wraps,
      then you can tie
      > it
      > > off however you like and it shouldn't be weakened any on that
      end of the
      > line,
      > > but you still have to tie a knott to connect to the fabric. do
      some research on
      > > the strongest knotts: fig 8, triple fishermans slip knot etc.
      also do some
      > > research on hitches too, i read somewhere that the cow hitch is
      rediculosly
      > > strong(i've never seen one though and don't know if it would be
      appropriate)
      > > also a thing to remember is that spectra is way slick and
      probably won't hold
      > > (the knott will slide) most friction knotts which may include
      all hitches ,
      > > remember many knotts can weaken the the line by 50% so it is
      important to
      > > use a strong one. there was just a post about knotts yesterday.
      also i've
      > heard
      > > of people doubling or tripleing the rope at the end where the
      knott is tied,
      > then
      > > tying the knot in the doubled rope this makes the knott bigger,
      and thus the
      > > bends in it are not as sharp(sharp bends being what weakens the
      rope. i
      > > would say that you are using the skinniest spectra that could
      possibly be
      > > used. i used it for a while and it held up fine until i decided
      to break it, so you
      > > could probably use it if you were real careful. i know the
      weight reduction is
      > > insane, but i would probably go for the 3mm, which is still way
      light, i'm sure
      > > you could use the 2mm until you can find the 3mm, just be
      careful. i have
      > > decided against the single braid spectra for now, it's just so
      slick and there
      > is
      > > no sheath to protect the line. i'm using yale crystaline 3mm,
      broke the 2mm.
      > > for uncovered spectra and high tech lines with sheaths check out
      > apsltd.com(i
      > > think) or search annapolis performance sailing. i'm still trying
      to figure out
      > > what the best choice for lines are. you can save alot of weight
      by choosing a
      > > light one, let me know what you decide on and how it works...
      Brandon

      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > I picked up some 2mm spectra line today to try out as
      > > > the hammock support ropes of my in-progress warm
      > > > hammock. I wanted to get the 3mm (rated to 400kg) but
      > > > they were out. This stuff is rated to 280kg. Will this
      > > > be sufficient to use safely on the hammock?
      > > >
      > > > cheers,
      > > > Aris

      around
      > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi
      outdoors
      > Happy camper Outdoors

      Service.

      > > ---------------------------------
      > >

      > > tim garner

    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris