Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock support lines

  • kbwaddy
    Message 1 of 43 , May 30, 2006
      tim, i was simply telling aris(i accidentally called him by his last name) how to
      use that cord with the least risk of breaking it. i wasn't thinking about the ethics
      i was implying. what is the general consensus on this issue? do all camping
      hammocks come with tree straps nowadays? i've used my hammocks with
      and without. your post got me to thinking though so i checked the trees in my
      backyard, they've been getting alot of use. there are 3 trees back there that i
      use. they are all hardwoods, but different kinds, i couldn't tell you the species.
      anyhow, i've been using the non-tree strap setup back there for a while now
      due to ease of use and simplicity. one tree does show bark damage, but the
      other two show almost none. by none, i mean that there is a slight dent in the
      bark where the line goes around the tree, there are identical markings on the
      bark caused by a separate ridgeline i use to elevate my tarp higher above the
      hammock. people have used tarps strung on a tightened line between to
      trees for years, has there been talk of tree straps for this purpose as well. i
      wouldn't think markings this slight would be of any concern to the tree, as they
      are probably due to having line around them for days on end and may not
      even occur after a single nights use. do you know if scratches or dents in the
      bark hurt the trees? do they heal? i disagree with you though, i don't think
      going strapless is garanteed to hurt the tree though, like i said those dents are
      from the lines being up for days on end, and the one with actual bark damage,
      i'm pretty sure, is from poor setup(the line sliding down the tree a bit when first
      weighted, which can happen with tree straps too) when i was experimenting
      with different methods of strapless setup. the way i do it now is quite secure
      and nothing moves upon the first weighting of a newly rigged hammock. i'm
      not trying to argue with you though, no one wants hammocking banned from
      anywhere or trees damaged, i'm just not convinced going strapless
      necessairly does that....Brandon

      > dennis... your not telling aris to wrap the 2mm line dirrectly around the tree...
      are you?
      > if so, that`s garenteed to cause tree damage that`s going to be a "black
      eye" for the hammocking community. ...tim

> [...]
      > the knott that was tied to the tree, so it seems that it is best to wrap the tree a
      > couple of times(don't wrap the line and reverse direction like you see in ed's
      > book, i broke it at that sharp bend as well.). wrap the tree a couple of times
      all
      > in the same direction, this puts all the weight on the wraps, then you can tie
      it
      > off however you like and it shouldn't be weakened any on that end of the
      line,
      > but you still have to tie a knott to connect to the fabric. do some research on
      > the strongest knotts: fig 8, triple fishermans slip knot etc. also do some
      > research on hitches too, i read somewhere that the cow hitch is rediculosly
      > strong(i've never seen one though and don't know if it would be appropriate)
      > also a thing to remember is that spectra is way slick and probably won't hold
      > (the knott will slide) most friction knotts which may include all hitches ,
      > remember many knotts can weaken the the line by 50% so it is important to
      > use a strong one. there was just a post about knotts yesterday. also i've
      heard
      > of people doubling or tripleing the rope at the end where the knott is tied,
      then
      > tying the knot in the doubled rope this makes the knott bigger, and thus the
      > bends in it are not as sharp(sharp bends being what weakens the rope. i
      > would say that you are using the skinniest spectra that could possibly be
      > used. i used it for a while and it held up fine until i decided to break it, so you
      > could probably use it if you were real careful. i know the weight reduction is
      > insane, but i would probably go for the 3mm, which is still way light, i'm sure
      > you could use the 2mm until you can find the 3mm, just be careful. i have
      > decided against the single braid spectra for now, it's just so slick and there
      is
      > no sheath to protect the line. i'm using yale crystaline 3mm, broke the 2mm.
      > for uncovered spectra and high tech lines with sheaths check out
      apsltd.com(i
      > think) or search annapolis performance sailing. i'm still trying to figure out
      > what the best choice for lines are. you can save alot of weight by choosing a
      > light one, let me know what you decide on and how it works... Brandon
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > > I picked up some 2mm spectra line today to try out as
      > > the hammock support ropes of my in-progress warm
      > > hammock. I wanted to get the 3mm (rated to 400kg) but
      > > they were out. This stuff is rated to 280kg. Will this
      > > be sufficient to use safely on the hammock?
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Aris

      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
      Happy camper Outdoors

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > tim garner

    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris