Re: [Hammock Camping] getting out the old sewing machine...

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 43 , May 30, 2006

      > Anyone see a use for the first idea, though?
      >
      > Jeff

      Jeff,

      I tried this method a while back. I only covered the hammock and
      bugnet. I worked ok but I use my homemede python skins to seal the
      ends of my bugnet so I quit using the single stuff sack. At first I
      had to re-tie the hammock several times to get the spacing right but
      after awhile I got to where I could judge pretty well on the first
      try. The main problem I had was when the straps were wet but you can
      just cinch the drawstring closure around the end of the hammock and
      leave the wet strap on the outside. By the way, I also used this
      method with my tarp and it worked well. I now use the method that
      Marta is going to use. I like it for all the reasons she has
      mentioned but an added bonus is that when I set up my hammock, I pull
      the skins back and my shelter is ready to climb in unless I'm using an
      air mattress in cold weather. Hope this helps.

      Brian
      T-BACK
    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris