Re: [Hammock Camping] getting out the old sewing machine...

    Message 1 of 43 , May 29, 2006
      it seems like i have put a hammock up by pulling one end out of a stuff sack, but i think i like using the skins better... partly because every things contained in the long tube as i make adjustments to get it centered.
      if the skins were big enough (home-made probably) they would slide over the whole kittenkabutle :~) w/o much effort. of course that would mean quite a bit more fabric than a stuff sack, but w/ silnylon that wouldn`t be that big a deal for the convenance.
      and i would think w/ the skins you could easyly push down into the backpack to force air out & make room for other stuff. but, marta can speak much better from her expereance. ...tim

      jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:
      Just thinking out loud here based on the last few posts...

      The final stuffs into the Python Skins can be a bit of a hassle
      depending on the setup being used. But I'd still like to be able to
      hang at least one end of the hammock while it's still protected...so
      what if I made a stuff sack with a small hole in the bottom for a
      hammock support, and a large opening to stuff everything into? I'll
      hang one end, then pull the hammock out as I go to hang the other
      end. Since I hang the tarp first in the rain, the hammock should be
      protected. I'll just have to be better at predicting the right
      length on the first try, I guess - but once I get that down I think
      stuffing into the sack will be easier than stuffing into the skins.

      Hrm...would this be any more useful than a normal stuff sack?

      Or I could just make a bigger pair of Python Skins. I'd like them
      to not compress the insulation much so that the whole sleeping kit
      will take up extra space in my pack, and then I could just stuff it
      down as I need the extra space. That's what I do with my top quilt
      and clothing already. Probably a better idea.

      Anyone see a use for the first idea, though?

      Jeff

      tim garner

    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris