Re: [Hammock Camping] was getting out the old sewing machine/now: hiking SOBO...

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 43 , May 29, 2006

      > Marta,
      >
      > I think that I will be hiking a two week section from Katadin south
      > beginning a week after you begin. I would be interested in the
      details
      > you have been able to scrounge about starting at the north end. I
      will
      > be doing my self shuttle with motorcycle and truck.
      > Rick

      I entered the lottery for a campsite at Katahdin Stream Campsite way
      back at the beginning of March, when the drawing for early July
      started. I got a site, but have no idea whether there was anyone else
      applying or not. The reason I decided to stay in the campground
      instead of at a motel in Millinocket is that I read that day use
      parking is limited, first come first served. You may end up needing
      to park in Millinocket and take a taxi to the park.

      The Park's website:

      http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

      In 2002, my daughter and I did a section hike from ME27 (187.8 mmiles
      south of Katahdin) north to Caratunk (151.2 miles south of Katahdin).
      My memory of the ME27 crossing is just a wide spot in the road, not
      suitable for two weeks of parking. The town of Stratton is 5 miles
      away; we did not visit it then, so I can't advise on what's there.

      Sorry I can't be more helpful. The rules and regs of BSP are
      confusing and somewhat intimidating to me. Hopefully it will all work
      out. There are a couple of people on Whiteblaze who seem to know lots
      about working the BSP system.
    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris