Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock support lines

  • kbwaddy
    Message 1 of 43 , May 29, 2006
      Dennis, i've used some spectra rated to 560 lbs. it seems it was about 2mm, i
      was unsure if it would be strong enough just like you so i decided to try and
      break it a few times. i was able to break it by bouncing in my
      hammock.(medium to heavy bouncing, i weigh 160 lbs. ) it obviously always
      broke at a knot or a sharp bend. it seemed that it was more likely to break at
      the knott that was tied to the tree, so it seems that it is best to wrap the tree a
      couple of times(don't wrap the line and reverse direction like you see in ed's
      book, i broke it at that sharp bend as well.). wrap the tree a couple of times all
      in the same direction, this puts all the weight on the wraps, then you can tie it
      off however you like and it shouldn't be weakened any on that end of the line,
      but you still have to tie a knott to connect to the fabric. do some research on
      the strongest knotts: fig 8, triple fishermans slip knot etc. also do some
      research on hitches too, i read somewhere that the cow hitch is rediculosly
      strong(i've never seen one though and don't know if it would be appropriate)
      also a thing to remember is that spectra is way slick and probably won't hold
      (the knott will slide) most friction knotts which may include all hitches ,
      remember many knotts can weaken the the line by 50% so it is important to
      use a strong one. there was just a post about knotts yesterday. also i've heard
      of people doubling or tripleing the rope at the end where the knott is tied, then
      tying the knot in the doubled rope this makes the knott bigger, and thus the
      bends in it are not as sharp(sharp bends being what weakens the rope. i
      would say that you are using the skinniest spectra that could possibly be
      used. i used it for a while and it held up fine until i decided to break it, so you
      could probably use it if you were real careful. i know the weight reduction is
      insane, but i would probably go for the 3mm, which is still way light, i'm sure
      you could use the 2mm until you can find the 3mm, just be careful. i have
      decided against the single braid spectra for now, it's just so slick and there is
      no sheath to protect the line. i'm using yale crystaline 3mm, broke the 2mm.
      for uncovered spectra and high tech lines with sheaths check out apsltd.com(i
      think) or search annapolis performance sailing. i'm still trying to figure out
      what the best choice for lines are. you can save alot of weight by choosing a
      light one, let me know what you decide on and how it works... Brandon

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I picked up some 2mm spectra line today to try out as
      > the hammock support ropes of my in-progress warm
      > hammock. I wanted to get the 3mm (rated to 400kg) but
      > they were out. This stuff is rated to 280kg. Will this
      > be sufficient to use safely on the hammock?
      >
      > cheers,
      > Aris

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Aris Dennis
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        If you decide to do a velcro pocket on the Hennessy,
        make sure you put darts in the fabric so it billows
        out. Also, you might want to contain the down in
        something if you want it to be removable. I was very
        careful and STILL got down everywhere. Finding bits of
        it in my clothes still.

        My pack is just made of some umproofed 2 oz ripstop
        nylon. I didn't see the point in ordering special
        waterproof material from America. All my commercial
        packs leak, so I though I'd just buy the $1 a metre
        stuff and have a very, very cheap pack. All my
        sleeping gear
        is in double layers of silnylon anyway.

        Let me know how you go with it.
        Aris