RE: Hammock Camping Hugging fat trees?

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2003
      > What do you do if the trees are bigger? Say 6+
      > inches?

      In my Explorer Deluxe Initial Report:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%20Explore
      r%20Deluxe%20A-Sym/Shane%20Steinkamp/Inital%20-%20Explorer%20Deluxe%20A-sym/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/ahhk

      I show the HH tied around a large pine tree.

      > For that matter how big to the trees need to be in
      > order to be safe?

      I won't tie off to anything less than 6" in diameter.

      > When putting the hammock back in the sack, should I
      > fold it? Can I just shove it in there? If I decide to
      > make the tubes how big do they need to be?

      I like the Snakeskins, but before I had them I used to take the hammock
      down, lay it on the ground, toss the ropes in to the center, fold the sides
      in, then roll it up. You can do this without laying it on the ground, but
      it's more work. The Snakeskins are VERY worth it.

      > Oh and finally thanks to Shane for the knot video,
      > those printed instructions on the bag seem just about
      > useless.

      Much welcome.

      > Of course I think I am still messing up something, it
      > takes some work to get it undone. Any tips from the
      > experts?

      Hmmm... It shouldn't be hard to undo. Are you doing it EXACTLY like the
      video?

      Shane