latest project trail tested

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25 10:23 AM
      Here's a report on my latest sewing project and its successful test on the
      BMT for 6 nights. It's like a travelpod with insulation on the bottom and
      sides. Maybe I'll call it a cocoon. I made it from 3 yards of 1.1
      breathable ripstop with Teflon DWR, 2 yards of 0.9 breathable ripstop,
      and 2 yards of 1 inch thick synthetic insulation (Climashield HL). Cost
      was $78 from Thru-hiker. Finished weight 19 oz. It's basically a tapered
      tube with drawstrings at both ends that surrounds the hammock. A
      rectangular sleeping bag can be used in much the same way, but my
      cocoon is shaped and insulated to work perfectly with my Speer
      hammock. The outer shell is made from 2 pieces of DWR ripstop (shiny
      side out), with a narrow top piece (max width 24 inches) that is 12 inches
      shorter in length than the wider piece that forms the bottom and sides.
      Four darts on the sides of the bottom piece make the top and bottom
      lengths match. This means that the insulation under my back takes the
      shape of the hammock and fully covers my shoulders. The sides contain
      1 inch of insulation, but the center of the bottom area contains double
      insulation (2 inches thick). The inside of the insulation was lined with 0.9
      oz breathable nylon. This insulation allowed me to sleep very warmly and
      comfortably without a pad. Using a similar setup with a summer-weight
      synthetic sleeping bag instead of the cocoon required a torso-sized pad
      because 1 inch of insulation wasn't enough under my back and hips, and
      because the back of my shoulders wasn't adequately covered by the
      straight sleeping bag. In temperatures down to the mid 50s I almost
      didn't need a sleeping bag inside the cocoon, it was so warm, even
      without top insulation. I used it down to the low or mid 40s with a summer
      weight down bag quite comfortably. I expect it will take me to near
      freezing with no problem. It provided superbe wind protection as well and
      protection from blowing rain. We had several nights of rain and wind,
      where rain blew under the tarp from my feet to my head. The outside of
      the cocoon was wet, but the water never penetrated and my down bag
      stayed perfectly dry. During a 2nd week of hiking the AT in NC/GA, I
      slept in shelters every night and used the cocoon on cold nights to add
      extra insulation to my sleeping bag. This project really turned out better
      than I anticipated and I can leave my pad at home when I don't
      anticipate sleeping on the ground. In addition, I can get away with a
      lighter sleeping bag due to the warmth of the cocoon.

      DebW
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25 11:17 AM
        That's way awesome...and 19 oz to freezing is pretty impressive. I'd
        love to see some pics when you get a chance!

        Jeff
      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 6 , May 25 8:20 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

          > That's way awesome...and 19 oz to freezing is pretty impressive. I'd
          > love to see some pics when you get a chance!
          >
          > Jeff

          Just to clarify, it was 19 oz of the bottom-insulated cocoon plus 1 lb
          7 oz of sleeping bag that will get me to freezing, not the 19 oz
          alone. No pics yet, but I'll try to take some.

          DebW
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26 4:31 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
            <dweisens@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@> wrote:
            > >
            > > That's way awesome...and 19 oz to freezing is pretty impressive.
            I'd
            > > love to see some pics when you get a chance!
            > >
            > > Jeff
            > >
            > Just to clarify, it was 19 oz of the bottom-insulated cocoon plus 1 lb
            > 7 oz of sleeping bag that will get me to freezing, not the 19 oz
            > alone. No pics yet, but I'll try to take some.
            >
            > DebW

            DebW,

            I found a note to you from Hammock Hanger at Dicks Creek Gap last
            wednesday. I guess I missed ya'll by a day. I asked some hikers up
            the trail (nobo) if they had run across ya'll and one of them had
            gotten a ride to or from Hiawassee from one of you. It's a small
            world, it would have been neat to have met you... maybe next time our
            paths will cross on the trail. We had some unusally cool nights in
            north Georgia the time you were down here, I'd heard about that and
            packed cold weather gear... I didn't need it when I was out.

            Youngblood
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 6 , May 26 5:48 AM
              <dweisens@...> wrote:

              > Here's a report on my latest sewing project and its successful test
              on the
              > BMT for 6 nights. It's like a travelpod with insulation on the
              bottom and
              > sides. Maybe I'll call it a cocoon.

              I have always liked your hammock ideas, and I think you are close to
              the ideal with this one. It sounds like you carefully tailored the
              cocoon to your hammock body. It seems that an improvement might be to
              make an adjustable suspension for the bottom section (so that careful
              tailoring isn't necessary). Does it have a zip top?

              Good work Deb.
            • Debra Weisenstein
              Message 6 of 6 , May 26 11:51 AM
                <rgarling@...> wrote:

                > I have always liked your hammock ideas, and I think you are close to
                > the ideal with this one. It sounds like you carefully tailored the
                > cocoon to your hammock body. It seems that an improvement might be
                > make an adjustable suspension for the bottom section (so that careful
                > tailoring isn't necessary). Does it have a zip top?

                No zipper. I just push it to the foot of the hammock, climb in, and pull it
                up to my chin. The adjustable suspension would be possible, but more
                work.