How to Whip a Hammock

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 24 , May 23, 2006
      Just posted this on my page:

      http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html

      Anyone whip theirs differently?

      Jeff
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 24 , May 24, 2006
        I usually just beat mine with a 2 x 4...

        Coy Boy
        PS nice addition to the site.

        Message 3 of 24 , May 24, 2006
          great illistrations jeff. very useable stuff.
          one question... on the last step of the W fold, when you pull out the edges of the hammock (to keep it from being floppy), do you pull out the center fold any as well?
          ...tim

          jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:
          Just posted this on my page:

          http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html

          Anyone whip theirs differently?

          Jeff

          tim garner

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 24 , May 24, 2006

            > I usually just beat mine with a 2 x 4...

            We're talking hammocks, Coy, not your dawgs!
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 24 , May 24, 2006
              > on the last step of the W fold, when you pull out the edges of the
              hammock (to keep it from being floppy), do you pull out the center
              fold any as well?

              No - just folding it that way changes the lay enough that I never
              needed to pull the middle out as well.

              Jeff
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I usually just beat mine with a 2 x 4...
                >
                > We're talking hammocks, Coy, not your dawgs!

                my bad, I thought we wuz taukin about yunguns...

                Coy Boy
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                  On 5/24/06, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I usually just beat mine with a 2 x 4...
                  >
                  > We're talking hammocks, Coy, not your dawgs!

                  Fooled you!! He was discussing his kids. :]

                  Ralph

                • kbwaddy
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                    the last one i made, i did a bit differently. i hemmed the ends with 2 half inch
                    folds and ran the skinniest string i could find(#18 braided nylon masons line
                    from home depot) inside the tube created by the hem. then i cinched the fabric
                    by pulling the string, leaving slack string hanging out on both ends of the
                    cinched fabric. this creates enough mass to slip any sort of slip knott over just
                    as you would do with a wipped end. cinching the ends this way gathers the
                    fabric very evenly, and leaves almost nothing sticking out past the slip knott.
                    then i wrapped the slack string around once or twice in opposite directions
                    and cut off the excess. you obviously can't do any kind of adjustment with the
                    sides, but it is quite simple and uses less material probably about 4-5 inches
                    of string (about 1-2mm diameter) after all excess slack is cut off, and there is
                    probably only a half inch of fabric sticking out past your slip knott. come to
                    think of it, you might be able to shorten the sides by making the folds of the
                    hem larger on the sides than in the middle, this would take up more fabric on
                    the sides, thus shortening them. jeff, i've never tried a hammock with
                    shortened sides, having floppy ones never bothered me, but the shortning of
                    the middle section to support the knees sounds interesting. would that cause
                    you to lay flatter on the diagonal as well?

                    wrote:

                    > Just posted this on my page:
                    >
                    > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html
                    >
                    > Anyone whip theirs differently?
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • quiltpatti
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                      I use a cable tie. (Kinda flimsy compared to a 2X4 though.) No, it
                      doesn't slip, or cut the fabric or rope. Used same ones all winter on
                      my bedroom hammock. To take them off, I cut them and replace with new
                      ones. I like the cord gathering idea, and might try that next time.
                      Sounds a lot simpler than the tedious 1 inch pleats I make. I don't
                      shorten my sides either and works fine for me.
                      Patti

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                      > Just posted this on my page:
                      >
                      > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html
                      >
                      > Anyone whip theirs differently?
                      >
                      > Jeff

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                        Fold over the cloth (and make a bight) and tie a double sheet bend with your
                        strap.
                        Real fast, real easy and NO sewing!!!

                        See it here.
                        http://www.videos.sailingcourse.com/double_sheet_bend.htm
                        Your hammock fabric would replace the white rope

                        4 yards of materiel from Wally World $4.00
                        An old strap Maybe $2.00

                        Quick and easy hammock for scouts and lazy people like me

                        Ralph

                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:

                          > the shortning of
                          > the middle section to support the knees sounds interesting. would
                          that cause
                          > you to lay flatter on the diagonal as well?

                          That was the reason I did it...the knee support was something I hadn't
                          considered.

                          I think it does allow me to lay flatter, but in my last hammock the
                          difference was so pronounced that I had to do the head end normally
                          and only the foot end in the W. On my new olive drab hammock, the
                          material doesn't stretch as much so I changed both ends to a normal
                          whipping...I'll let you know which I like better as I use it more this
                          way.
                        • Joe Federici
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 25, 2006
                            I'm getting ready to order some silk to make a double layer hammock.
                            Unless someone points me in a different direction it sounds like the Z
                            hammock is a good design allowing for easy access for pads.

                            Anyway doing some searching of the list I've fond that 2 weights have
                            been used in silk. 4.5mm and 10mm. I'm just wondering if (Bill
                            Fornshell) who used the the lighter would let me know how it's holding
                            up. I weigh 170. Since I'm going to make a double layer I'm guess 4.5
                            should be fine but just wanted to see if anyone on the list has any
                            comments before I order.

                            JFF
                          • Rat
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 25, 2006
                              I do the whipping just like you do Jeff, but I don't pull the sides
                              out, I like 'em floppy:)

                              The only thing I do differently is how I attach my hammock supports.
                              After I have folded and before I whip I Lie a piece of 1" webbing on
                              top of the folds and then whip everything together. The webbing has a
                              loop tied in one end (inside the hammock) and the other end is loose
                              and about 1 foot long. To the loose end I tie my hammock supports via
                              a double sheet bend. To the loops on the inside, I tie my ridgeline.
                              This allows me to easily change hammock supports (or use them quikly
                              in an emergency) and not loose my ridgeline length. Plus it just looks
                              cooler to me than having it tied to the whipped bundle.

                              I also use zip-ties to hold the folded bundle together while I whip
                              it, then cut 'em off after it is whipped up.
                            • rollerblaz123
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 25, 2006
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
                                wrote:

                                > I'm getting ready to order some silk to make a double layer hammock.
                                > Unless someone points me in a different direction it sounds like the
                                > hammock is a good design allowing for easy access for pads.
                                >
                                > Anyway doing some searching of the list I've fond that 2 weights have
                                > been used in silk. 4.5mm and 10mm. I'm just wondering if (Bill
                                > Fornshell) who used the the lighter would let me know how it's
                                holding
                                > up. I weigh 170. Since I'm going to make a double layer I'm guess 4.5
                                > should be fine but just wanted to see if anyone on the list has any
                                > comments before I order.
                                >
                                > JFF
                                ---------------------
                                i tried this same exact route, except i used 5mm and i didnt have much
                                success, the problem was when i used the zig zag stitch, the material
                                bunched up a bit, and upon pulling at the seams the holes created by
                                the needle seemed to get larger and larger, so i gave up on the
                                zhammock, and then i made a speer type hammock, but it ended up ripping
                                right at the knot. however i think this was my fault because i had to
                                tie one of the knots over again, and thats where it failed. i weigh 150
                                Ibs atm aswell, and i found that 8mm is more then strong enough for a
                                hammock and its what im using now. i would like to try a 6mm but no
                                luck finding it over 45" wide...
                                btw, im not a very good sewer or anything, so dont take my experiance
                                for the honest truth, so i'd say buy a small sample or something and
                                see for yourself
                                good luck!
                                mike!
                              • jwj32542
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 25, 2006
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

                                  > I do the whipping just like you do Jeff, but I don't pull the
                                  sides
                                  > out, I like 'em floppy:)

                                  I like them a little bit floppy so I can see out - not a big fan of
                                  the near-complete cocoon that some people seem to like. Plus, with
                                  looser sides it's pretty comfortable to rest my head up on the sides
                                  and look around.

                                  > a double sheet bend. To the loops on the inside, I tie my
                                  ridgeline.

                                  That's a good idea. I was thinking about making one 25'
                                  ridgeline/hammock support, and just tying a bight 9' from each end
                                  to put the hammock through. That would give me a 7' ridgeline and
                                  two 9' supports.

                                  > I also use zip-ties to hold the folded bundle together while I
                                  whip
                                  > it, then cut 'em off after it is whipped up.

                                  I like that idea, too...might use it next time!

                                  Jeff
                                • Ray Garlington
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 26, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > Anyway doing some searching of the list I've fond that 2 weights
                                    have
                                    > been used in silk. 4.5mm and 10mm.

                                    I think using 8mm as a minimum would be prudent. Silk sews very
                                    nicely, and I don't think there will be any advantage using the zig
                                    zag stitch. (I used 10mm for a single layer hammock)

                                    If you are an experimenter, you might want to try nylon for the outer
                                    layer. I think that might block the wind a little better, but I don't
                                    know what sewing the silk/nylon junction would be like.
                                  • Bill Fornshell
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 26, 2006
                                      From: Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
                                      Date: Thu May 25, 2006 10:40 am
                                      Subject: Silk and z-hammock

                                      "Anyway doing some searching of the list I've fond that 2 weights have
                                      been used in silk. 4.5mm and 10mm. I'm just wondering if (Bill
                                      Fornshell) who used the the lighter would let me know how it's holding
                                      up. I weigh 170. Since I'm going to make a double layer I'm guess 4.5
                                      should be fine but just wanted to see if anyone on the list has any
                                      comments before I order."

                                      JFF

                                      To Joe:

                                      I haven't been getting the messages from here for awhile but have been looking once in
                                      awhile. I just changed back to get all the emails again.

                                      To address your question about silk for a Hammock. The Silk Hammock Ed made me
                                      several years ago was 8mm. It is still being used and I would say it is still good as new.

                                      I made two new Hammocks two weeks ago. I am using a design like the old Army Jungle
                                      Hammock and used a spreader bar on both ends. I use parts of my home-made trekking
                                      poles for the spreader bars so I don't carry any extra weight. The first new Hammock was
                                      made out of some demin I got at Wal Mart on the $1 a yard table. I made it to check my
                                      pattern and to decide how to reinforce the Hammock body for the Silk and then for
                                      another Hammock to be made out of light Cuben Fabric. The Silk which is 8mm and the
                                      piece left over from the two pieces I sent Ed is doing good with the extra stress of the
                                      spreader bar design. I did have a funny thing happen while I was try to take some pictures
                                      of me laying in it. I was having a hard time getting into the Hammock before the timer on
                                      my camera took the picture. I sort of dropped into the Hammock a little quick and harder
                                      than I wanted. Something popped. I thought the Silk ripped but it was one of the plastic
                                      "D" rings I used for the cords on the ends that broke. It made an interesting picture as I
                                      lurched backward into the Hammock. I was holding onto the Hammock sides and fell back
                                      into it. The Silk was fine and it turned out to be a good (un-planned) test of the strength
                                      of the Silk.

                                      To your question about a Hammock made out of some 4.5mm Silk. I have a bunch of that
                                      weight Silk and plan to use it on a Hyper Light Hammock. The weight of my Hyper Light
                                      Hammock unlike the new HH might weigh 6 to 8 ounces. That weigh does not include a
                                      tarp but the tarp will be made out of Cuben Fiber and most here should know how light
                                      that stuff is.

                                      I weigh 160 pounds and I think the single layer 4.5mm Silk will work using the standard Ed
                                      Speer Hammock design. I think a double layer Hammock as you are thinking about and
                                      your weight should work. I think the z-Hammock is a design like Ed's and I don't think it
                                      requires any sewing cross the Hammock body.

                                      I have some pictures of both the new Hammocks on a Thread here:
                                      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3030/
                                      index.html
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 26, 2006
                                        bill... i`ve already been reading your post at backpackinglight.com about the new flat hammock. pretty interresting! just for interrest i`ll throw out another idea.
                                        i`ve been experimenting w/ one (or possibly two) spreader bars on a fairly narrow, speer type hammock. i sewed two connection points oppisite of each other, above the head area.
                                        one side has a small sack (mabey 2" x 3") where i put the handle of my treking pole, & the other side has a short pice of 3/4" webbing w/ a gromet, into which i put the tip of the hiking stick.
                                        they are both attached to the hammock w/ a very short, small, pice of bunge cord to relive some tension when getting in & out of the hammock.
                                        this dosen`t deal w/ a lot of tension, it just spreads the top edges of the hammock as if you reached up w/ your hands & spread the sides apart.
                                        i haven`t spent much time w/ it yet, but what i`m hoping it will do is
                                        1) give more of an open feel & better visibility.
                                        2) give more of a consistaint, taught form to the sides, alowing easyer, more predictible adjustment to underquilts.
                                        3) less side compression would mean the sides of your quilt or sleeping bag would keep it`s loft & no insulation would be needed on the sides of the hammock.
                                        w/ this type of spreader, the body hangs stable, lower than the center of gravity, fully supported by a full length pice of fabric.
                                        i have a digital camera on lay-away, & hope to have it out soon so i`ll be able to post a few photos. ...tim

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 26, 2006
                                          Hi Tim,

                                          I think what you are hoping for is possible and you
                                          have several good ideas going on with your Hammock.
                                          I might be able to try something like you method by
                                          using the Velcro sewn on my Speer Hammock edges for
                                          the bug net. As for your 3 goals, number 3 is what I
                                          hope to achieve with a flat style hammock. I have
                                          used my old jungle Hammocks in the snow and what I
                                          really liked was the ability of my "stay warm" stuff
                                          to lay flat inside the Hammock. Not as flat as a cot
                                          but flat enough. The flat style Hammock is a part of
                                          my new Winter Hammock System. I use a Down Air
                                          Mattress (DAM) with a Down top cover.

                                          I believe my system will keep me warmer, be lighter
                                          and pack smaller than the other methods being used or
                                          tried with Hammocks to stay warm. My first system was
                                          made to be good down to "0" degrees F.
                                          The total weight of the system not counting the
                                          Hammock was about 2.5 pounds. The shell material was
                                          some $1 a yard stuff from Wal Mart and was not very
                                          light. The new one is being made out of the lightest
                                          material I can buy. Cuben will be used for the bottom
                                          as it does not breath and should be warmer and much
                                          lighter than anything else I could use. Remember I am
                                          talking about a winter Hammock System.

                                          It will be good to see your work when you get your
                                          camera.

                                          Bill in Texas

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • dlfrost_1
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 28, 2006
                                            wrote:
                                            > Just posted this on my page:
                                            >
                                            > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html
                                            >
                                            > Anyone whip theirs differently?
                                            >
                                            > Jeff

                                            I prefer the Palomar Knot for grabbing hold of the end of a whipped
                                            hammock. It's much less likely to come undone and it preserves
                                            almost all of the line's strength. For making the initial loop I
                                            suggest the figure-of-eight loop rather than one made with an
                                            overhand knot. The latter is much stronger and can usually be untied
                                            if desired.

                                            BTW, if you need to double up a line because you're not sure it's
                                            strong enough (you bought Spectra that was too light or whatever),
                                            combinations of the Palomar Knot (self-gripping loop) and/or the
                                            Bowline On A Bight (fixed loop) will let you use the line with little
                                            loss of strength due to knotting. Tie the ends of the line together
                                            with the Figure Of Eight Bend.

                                            In general, the strongest knots come from either climbing or fishing,
                                            where loss of life or leader is a thing carefully avoided. Knots
                                            from the latter are usually permanent while ones from the former are
                                            usually untieable.

                                            Doug Frost
                                          • jwj32542
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 29, 2006
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@...> wrote:
                                              > I prefer the Palomar Knot for grabbing hold of the end of a whipped
                                              > hammock.

                                              That's an interesting approach that I haven't considered. A quick
                                              search showed fishhooks and sinkers in the loop - how do you use it
                                              for a hammock?

                                              It seems that you tie the loop in the rope, then double-up the hammock
                                              like the fishing line in the pictures. Is this correct? Does this
                                              take up a lot of material?

                                              Jeff
                                            • Bill in Houston
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 30, 2006
                                                I fold to the center, to the center, to the center, like I think Ed
                                                does, and then slipped double sheet bend like Ralph.

                                                Bill in Houston

                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                                > Just posted this on my page:
                                                >
                                                > http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockWhipping.html
                                                >
                                                > Anyone whip theirs differently?
                                                >
                                                > Jeff

                                              • Bill in Houston
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 30, 2006
                                                  Just remember...

                                                  "Nylon before silk, works smooth like milk. Silk before nylon,
                                                  troubles will pile on."

                                                  Bill in Houston, just kidding

                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@...>

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 30, 2006
                                                    On 5/30/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                                                    > I fold to the center, to the center, to the center, like I think Ed
                                                    > does, and then slipped double sheet bend like Ralph.
                                                    >

                                                    > Bill in Houston

                                                    I think I got the knot from you.