Re: Finishing Off My Hammock Help?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23 8:13 PM
      Hi JoAnn and welcome to the group. Your crochayed hammock is quite
      different than the hammocks most here use for camping. I had a mayi
      hammock for a while in the back yard. Seems like the netting was
      gathered one either end similar to how we do solid fabric hammocks
      but it has been awhile. I have never examined the hammocks with
      spreader bars up close but I believe they are way to tippy for
      camping use so so would stear clear of those. My Crazy Creek Crazy
      Crib LEX uses somthing similar to spreader bars (aluminum hoops/tent
      poles) but they only help keep the hammock spread a little and it is
      not like the bars across the end. You can expeiment with folding
      your hammock and attaching webbing or suitable rope until your find
      something that works good. I saw the imrisk link on the site you
      listed. He (Rick, also a regular here) has come good info on tying
      various knots, whipping and how to fold the material. I like the
      sheet bend myself using 1 inch polypro webbing. One other thing,
      I'm not sure how stretcy your hammock is compared to a solid fabric
      one, but you may have to hang yours a little higher to keep off the
      ground. Let us know how you get the straps attached and how it
      works out.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mijo_cats" <mijo_cats@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi All!
      > I am a new member from central MA. I've been camping since I was
      in
      > diapers, now 30 something. My husband has also camped most of his
      > life. We have two girls, 7 and 12 and we camp as often as we
      can.
      > We're tent campers, but I do have a hammock question for you all.
      > have crocheted a hammock body. It is a basic net stitch, (double
      > stitch one, chain 1 throughout, with a couple rows of single
      stitch
      > all around). It measures about 60" across and 80" long, before
      > stretching. I'm at the point now that I need to finish it off.
      I've