Finishing Off My Hammock Help?

  • mijo_cats
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23 5:09 PM
      Hi All!
      I am a new member from central MA. I've been camping since I was in
      diapers, now 30 something. My husband has also camped most of his
      life. We have two girls, 7 and 12 and we camp as often as we can.
      We're tent campers, but I do have a hammock question for you all. I
      have crocheted a hammock body. It is a basic net stitch, (double
      stitch one, chain 1 throughout, with a couple rows of single stitch
      all around). It measures about 60" across and 80" long, before
      stretching. I'm at the point now that I need to finish it off. I've
      been looking up things online and found this group through this site:
      http://raysbeambots.solarbotics.net/knots/easyhammock.htm
      I'm trying to figure out how to string up to one point on either end,
      if I should make spreader bars or not, what the best knots are to use
      to finish it off and so on. If anyone could help I would really
      appreciate it. This image I found online represents my stithing (it
      is not mine, just looks close to what I made):
      http://www.moonarts.com/blog/images/fp/silkalpaca-scarf1.jpg
      Thanks for any help you can offer!
      JoAnne
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23 7:52 PM
        I don't know a lot about these types of hammocks, but we used to just
        put a carabiner through the end holes in net hammocks when I was
        younger. With so many holes, each one barely held any weight and they
        lasted a while. Maybe something similar would work for your project.

        Jeff
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 23 8:13 PM
          Hi JoAnn and welcome to the group. Your crochayed hammock is quite
          different than the hammocks most here use for camping. I had a mayi
          hammock for a while in the back yard. Seems like the netting was
          gathered one either end similar to how we do solid fabric hammocks
          but it has been awhile. I have never examined the hammocks with
          spreader bars up close but I believe they are way to tippy for
          camping use so so would stear clear of those. My Crazy Creek Crazy
          Crib LEX uses somthing similar to spreader bars (aluminum hoops/tent
          poles) but they only help keep the hammock spread a little and it is
          not like the bars across the end. You can expeiment with folding
          your hammock and attaching webbing or suitable rope until your find
          something that works good. I saw the imrisk link on the site you
          listed. He (Rick, also a regular here) has come good info on tying
          various knots, whipping and how to fold the material. I like the
          sheet bend myself using 1 inch polypro webbing. One other thing,
          I'm not sure how stretcy your hammock is compared to a solid fabric
          one, but you may have to hang yours a little higher to keep off the
          ground. Let us know how you get the straps attached and how it
          works out.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mijo_cats" <mijo_cats@...>