Seam Sealer

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2006
      Can denatured alcohol be used as a solvent? I never did well in chemisrty.

      I've got some clear silicone caulking called DAP, and was wondering if
      I denatured alcohol would be adequate as a solvent.
    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2006
        Also, my tarp is urethane coated, not silnylon.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
        wrote:

        > Can denatured alcohol be used as a solvent? I never did well in
        chemisrty.

        > I've got some clear silicone caulking called DAP, and was wondering if
        > I denatured alcohol would be adequate as a solvent.

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19, 2006
          <funbun2@...> wrote:

          > Can denatured alcohol be used as a solvent?

          I think it will work but I know mineral spirits works good. It's
          fairly cheap too.

          I never did well in chemisrty.

          me neither, I wus two bizee aksellin in spellin.

          > I've got some clear silicone caulking called DAP, and was
          wondering if
          > I denatured alcohol would be adequate as a solvent.

          try it outdoors and let us know how it works...

          Coy Boy
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19, 2006
            I do not know for sure, but I expect that alcohol would not work as
            well. Think back to all that stuff about polar vs non-polar solvents.

            Also, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use the silicone stuff on
            a urethane coated fabric.

            Bill in Houston

            wrote:

            > Can denatured alcohol be used as a solvent? I never did well in
            chemisrty.

            > I've got some clear silicone caulking called DAP, and was wondering if
            > I denatured alcohol would be adequate as a solvent.

          • mijo_cats
            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2006
              Hi, I have a bit of chemistry and googled this subject.
              I found on this site
              (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/print/0,17071,203227,00.html) that
              DAP's Paintable Silicone Sealant is a true water-based silicone
              caulk...so if that's what you have you can use water as a solvent.
              I also found on a few sites acetic acid as a solvent, which is just
              vinegar.

              I didn't see your orginal posting because I just joined the group,
              but if you are trying to seal a urethane coated fabric try this site:
              http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Seam%20Sealers.html

              JoAnne