Tarp Question

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18 12:04 PM
      I'm considering making a 10 x 10 tarp and use it diagonally. Does a
      diagonal tarp protect as well a rectangulr tarp in rain?
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18 1:15 PM
        yes and no. if pitched at basically the same angle they will protect
        the same amount of space but in a different relation to the hammock.
        Longer at the head and foot (12 and 6 oclock) end and wider at the
        center(3 and 9 oclock) but less at the side diagionals (1:30, 4:30
        7:30 and 10:30 oclock positions). However you can pull the sides
        down further when pitched diaginal which can also keep you dryer.
        This is more noticable with an 8 x 10 but with your 10 x 10 you should
        be able to get the sides down pretty far anyways. Hope that made sense.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm considering making a 10 x 10 tarp and use it diagonally. Does a
        > diagonal tarp protect as well a rectangulr tarp in rain?

      • Aris Dennis
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18 3:11 PM
          Hi All,
          I'm wanting to order some 1.9oz ripstop nylon to make
          up a down fiilled warm hammock a la Risk. I emailed
          OWFINC to find out how much it would be to ship. They
          charge ten dollars on top of the international postage
          for just taking it to the post office!
          This seems a bit steep to me. Can anyone recommend
          other online fabric stores?
          cheers,
          Aris

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18 3:40 PM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...>
            wrote:

            > Can anyone recommend
            > other online fabric stores?

            There's a list of them here:
            http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19 7:34 AM
              I have no idea about comparing them. To test that you'd have to use a rectangular tarp with the same length as the diagonal of your square tarp?

              I use an 8 x 8 square tarp pitched on the diagonal simply because it gives a better view and requires the fewest anchor points. My thinking is that in a pinch I could rig it square and low as a barely-long-enough A-frame, and keep out heavy lateral rain.

              I aim for two feet of overhang beyond a nominal 8-foot long hammock. On the diagonal, an 8 foot square gives me about 11-1/4 feet of coverage -- a little over 1-1/2 feet at each end.

              The diagonal on a 10 foot tarp is diagonal is over 14 feet. That might force you to choose trees that are farther apart than you'd like. Sometimes I find a pair of trees that's just right for my hammock, but the points of the tarp are hard against the trunks, or even need to be slightly wrapped around the trunks.

              Bear
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19 9:25 AM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
                Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

                > I use an 8 x 8 square tarp pitched on the diagonal simply because it
                > gives a better view and ...

                That's interesting, I would figure that the 11 foot diagonal of a 8x8
                square tarp would restrict more view along the center portion of the
                tarp than my 8x10 rectangular tarp did with its 8 foot width. In
                general I am able to hang my tarp high enough if all I want is
                protection from rain in moderate winds such that my head is below the
                bottom edges of my tarp when I am laying in my hammock and I can see
                out across the horizon on flat terrain. I guess your better view is of
                a portion of the sky? I hadn't thought of it that way, I evolved from
                tarp camping and always liked to be able to see what critters where
                about... I guess the next evolution is tarps with moon roofs? <grin>

                Youngblood