Tilting

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2006
      My Speer style hammock always tilts to one side. Is there a reason for
      this? did I do something wrong? Has it to do with the way I pitch it?
      Do I need to retie the ends? Please, HELP...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2006
        I've had that happen when I have untied and retied hammocks that I
        have used for a while; I figure it had to do with the stretch of the
        fabric as I have always been pretty careful about squaring up the
        hammock fabric and it didn't seem that way until I had retied it. I
        think Rick mentioned a while back that he thought one of his hammocks
        had stretched unevenly because he was always sitting and getting
        in/out of one side all the time.

        A hammock without enough sag or a short hammock or a narrow hammock
        or fabric that doesn't have the right stretch characteristics can all
        effect how it lays. I make one a year or so ago for someone (on the
        cheap) who just wanted to take naps in the backyard and used some
        dollar-bin polyester fabric(?) and it didn't lay worth a dang until
        I 'fine-tuned it'. At that time I had made probably a dozen
        different hammocks so I had the process down pretty well, the
        difference was the material and its stretch characteristics. That
        one felt too stiff along the center, like the center was raised, so I
        adjusted the lay of it by progressively shortening the hammock
        relative to its center line but it still wasn't as comfortable as the
        ones I have made using rip-stop nylon fabric.

        I have been able to help the hammocks out that I have retied by 'fine
        tuning' them but the way I did that was not simple and you may not be
        able to improve your situation by doing it. I 'fine tune' them by
        untying one knot, adjusting how the fabric was gathered, retying that
        knot (while the other end was still attached to a tree) and then
        proceeding to the other knot and doing the same to it. Of course it
        is trial and error so you have to get in the hammock, get another
        read on its lay and repeat the process if you think it is necessary.
        In general if the hammock lays high in one area, or side, you want to
        increase the length of the fabric in that area of the hammock
        relative to the rest of the hammock. 'Fine tuning' is not a job I
        take on lightly and I have never felt that a hammock that I had 'fine
        tuned' was as comfortable as one that was properly make and not
        messed with.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2006
          Dave Womble wrote:
          > I've had that happen when I have untied and retied hammocks that I
          > have used for a while; I figure it had to do with the stretch of the
          > fabric as I have always been pretty careful about squaring up the
          > hammock fabric and it didn't seem that way until I had retied it. I
          > think Rick mentioned a while back that he thought one of his hammocks
          > had stretched unevenly because he was always sitting and getting
          > in/out of one side all the time.

          I have noticed this with several of my hammocks. They are never quite
          symmetrical. However it usually works itself out if I alternate which
          side I get out of the hammock. If I notice that I am lying a little to
          one side, I purposely, use the high side to get in and out of the
          hammock for a while and it becomes even again.

          Part of the reason I went away from the hammock with the bugnet sewn to
          one edge was that I was always getting in and out of the other side and
          the hammock did become loose on that side after a while. The first time
          I noticed this was at a Rainbow Springs campout with Ed's Gang. That
          night, it almost felt like I was going to roll out of the quarterweight
          hammock!