ziz zag stretch

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2006
      wouldn`t it be great if a sewing mach could sew w/ a slighty
      streachy thread? ...tim
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2006
        Tim Garner wrote:
        > wouldn`t it be great if a sewing mach could sew w/ a slighty
        >streachy thread?

        They can. I use nylon thread on my hammocks and never have a problem
        with differential stretch.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2006
          yep, i understand that nylon has more strech than polyster, but i don`t think it has enough to resove the potential problems of stressing the fabric of the hammock body when sewing across (side to side) to attach a smaller area of insulation, like the warm hammock.
          what i had in mind was a very small true elastic cord. but that wouldn`t work in a sewing mach because a sewing machine works on the principal of keeping the thread pulled taught, at a proper tention. and the elastic cord would really through a wrench in that system.
          but if a person was willing to sew that portion (across) by hand W/ elastic cord, that mite help. BUT... even the small elastic cord i have in mind (i don`t have the package to see the size, but its probably at least two times the thickness of a heavy thread) would require a larger needle that would in turn, make a larger hole each pass. i don`t know if that would also comprimise the fabrics strengh or not.
          just a thought ...tim

          Matthew Takeda <takeda@...> wrote:
          Tim Garner wrote:
          > wouldn`t it be great if a sewing mach could sew w/ a slighty
          >streachy thread?

          They can. I use nylon thread on my hammocks and never have a problem
          with differential stretch.

          Matthew Takeda
          the JOAT

          tim garner