late spring hike somewhere...

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 33 , May 9, 2006
      I have taken vacation for the hike May 29 thr June 2nd. Cody and the
      GT kid from last time are planning on coming. Now all I need to do is
      figgure out where to go.

      Dave, if you can make it you might have a good suggestion on where to
      go. Would like enough elevation to keep it fairly cool this late in
      the spring.

      Tim have you found out if you can go?

      Wayne, how bout you?

      anybody else? I dont want to get to big a group but a couple more
      won't matter.

      Coy Boy
    • Coy
      Message 33 of 33 , May 16, 2006
        Sounds like a great hike. Your right about the couples hammock.

        the trease floatingdome2 from

        http://www.trease.biz/

        would work but at 12 lbs it dont make a lot of sence except for
        maybe car camping or a short hike in and base camping. plus it is
        not a regular production item and no price was mentioned but going
        from the price of the FlyingBivy at $549 i bet it is pretty steep.

        The Dryad from

        http://www.terrelogic.com/

        might work but is advertized for 1. I imagine you would end up
        rooling into each other too much. but it weights 6 lbs so is more
        in line with a 2 man tent. still a might heavy for a thr-hike but
        might be worth a try for a shorter hike. I would try it at home
        first though.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce W. Calkins"
        <blackwolfe@...> wrote:

        > We hiked Three Forks to Auger Gap, (About 1.75 miles North of
        Woody Gap.)
        > April 9 through April 22. We then split up and the two "slow"
        hikers went
        > back to Woody Gap while I went around Blood Mountian to get the
        car. It
        > RAINED all three nights. Two nights were spent in shelters and
        the last
        > night was under my tarp. We spent night one at Hawk Mountian
        Shelter with a
        > pair of Northbounders. They plan to stop when it gets to be no
        fun. If
        > they keep having fun, then to the big K. Also there, was an Ohio
        Family of
        > six. The kids each had Hennesy A-sim's, the parent's tarped.
        (We've GOT to