Risk's Test Hammock

  • jkneilson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9 9:43 AM
      I plan to build Risk's Test Hammock this weekend. I've run into a few
      problems and realize I have a few questions.

      1. I can't locate Worsterlon polyester fabric in the Bay Area. From
      Walmart to Hancock's to Britex, no one carries it. The original
      manufacturer is located in Pakistan, but my questions there go
      unanswered. I plan to visit two fabric stores close to home and
      purchase the lightest, most durable polyester material I can find. If
      anyone has a specific suggestion, I'd like to hear it.

      2. Risk says that either "48 inch wide or 60 inch wide cloth can be
      used." If I use 48 inch wide material, do I fold the fabric only 3
      times, or 4?

      3. What's the approximate weight of Risk's Test Hammock, assuming 48
      X 60 dimensions, and 10 yards of webbing?

      4. If the Test Hammock is properly assembled, will it "stay
      together?" Or can I exepct it to slip here and there, and become
      unfolded at some point?

      5. If there's an alternative to Risk's hammock that someone would
      like to share, I'd like to hear that too.

      Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait to get off the ground!

      Cheers,
    • RevT
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9 11:00 AM
        I built something kinda like risk's hammock. I got the 1.00 material from
        walmart. It was some sort of polyester. I kept folding it in half till the
        ends were about an inch or so wide. I also hand sewed them to keep them from
        slipping. After that I whipped the ends like he says.
        For the most part the hammock held up. I believe it weighed in around 16-20
        oz cant remember and everything packed up right now.

        The two problems I ran into were the ends kept slipping hence why I sewed
        them, and then where I sewed it, the material finally gave way.

        HTH's
        Brian

        On 5/9/06, jkneilson <jkneilson@...> wrote:

        > I plan to build Risk's Test Hammock this weekend. I've run into a few
        > problems and realize I have a few questions.
        >
        > 1. I can't locate Worsterlon polyester fabric in the Bay Area. From
        > Walmart to Hancock's to Britex, no one carries it. The original
        > manufacturer is located in Pakistan, but my questions there go
        > unanswered. I plan to visit two fabric stores close to home and
        > purchase the lightest, most durable polyester material I can find. If
        > anyone has a specific suggestion, I'd like to hear it.
        >
        > 2. Risk says that either "48 inch wide or 60 inch wide cloth can be
        > used." If I use 48 inch wide material, do I fold the fabric only 3
        > times, or 4?
        >
        > 3. What's the approximate weight of Risk's Test Hammock, assuming 48
        > X 60 dimensions, and 10 yards of webbing?
        >
        > 4. If the Test Hammock is properly assembled, will it "stay
        > together?" Or can I exepct it to slip here and there, and become
        > unfolded at some point?
        >
        > 5. If there's an alternative to Risk's hammock that someone would
        > like to share, I'd like to hear that too.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait to get off the ground!
        >
        > Cheers,

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9 11:55 AM
          I used two layers of fabric instead of one (for easier pad usage),
          and at the ends I used a slipped double sheet bend instead of the
          overhand knot, and I used rope instead of webbing.

          The rope is ridiculously fat and long, and the whole thing weighs 2
          lbs. I need to put on some of the Youngblood braided poly rope, but
          havent't gotten around to it.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jkneilson" <jkneilson@...>
          wrote:
          > 5. If there's an alternative to Risk's hammock that someone would
          > like to share, I'd like to hear that too.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait to get off the ground!
          >
          > Cheers,

        • tory1942
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
            Has anyone actually used the Test Hammock in an overnight camp? Or
            swung it in their yards? Just curious.
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
              On 2/4/07, tory1942 <tory1942@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone actually used the Test Hammock in an overnight camp? Or
              > swung it in their yards? Just curious.

              YES!! LOTS!!

              It is a quick, easy, cheap way for me to introduce my scouts to hammocks.

              At someones suggestion I modifiey the classic RISK test hammock design by
              using a double sheet bend on each end. They work very nicely.

              Ralph Oborn

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                > using a double sheet bend on each end. They work very nicely.
                >
                > Ralph Oborn

                Ralph,

                At your urging via your repeated comments, I finally got around to
                trying out a slippery double sheet bend on a hammock I had
                decommissioned because of worries about fabric failure by untying the
                overhand knots and using the slippery double sheet bend in its place.
                It looks nice, works very well and uses about 9 inches less fabric on
                my 60 inch wide 1.9 oz rip stop nylon hammock. Those are the knots
                that I have used on the one hammock I have made since then and will be
                my hammock knot of choice in the future. Thanks for the info.

                Dave
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                  Ralph,

                  At your urging via your repeated comments, I finally got around to
                  trying out a slippery double sheet bend on a hammock I had
                  decommissioned because of worries about fabric failure by untying the
                  overhand knots and using the slippery double sheet bend in its place.
                  It looks nice, works very well and uses about 9 inches less fabric on
                  my 60 inch wide 1.9 oz rip stop nylon hammock. Those are the knots
                  that I have used on the one hammock I have made since then and will be
                  my hammock knot of choice in the future. Thanks for the info.

                  Dave

                  I am honored that the master innovator would consider my humble suggestion.

                  Whipping, knotting the fabric, sewing loops in the strap etc. just all
                  looked like a lotta work.
                  And I'm just to lazy for that.

                  Ralph

                • beentomadrid
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                    Like Ralph I use the double sheet bend, but I have made lots of fully
                    functional hammocks with no sewing at all. What I like about them is I
                    can be on my way to do some car camping, swing by a walmart or
                    whatever, grab 3 or 4 yards of cloth, a bag of 3/8 yellow hollow braid
                    rope (and a some webbing if they have some) and have a perfectly
                    comfortable hammock for the weekend for less than $10! I just make it
                    in camp (picnic tables at campgrounds are great for folding them up).

                    ~Doug Campbell

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone actually used the Test Hammock in an overnight camp? Or
                    > swung it in their yards? Just curious.

                  • Bill III
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                      Hi All, I've made three hammocks. All with no sewing/hemming and just rope.
                      I've bounced around and have my 6'4" 210 lbs test them as well. I have yet to have a failure. I have some pics on here of my back yard setup. With a home made cat tart.