[Hammock Camping] Re: Warmhammock

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2006
      <zippydooda@...> wrote:

      > Jeff, Have you thought of forgoing the backstitching entirely? You
      can
      > just tie a knot in the end.

      Hrm...hadn't thought of that. Have you done it? How durable is it?
      I assume if it's on the underside of the hammock it should last a
      while. Maybe I'll try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Jeff
    • Scott Schroeder
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2006

        > > -- the patch is then sewn to the middle of the hammock body, both
        > > from end to end and from side to side.
        >
        > I assume this is probably off center a little so shoulders to
        > mid-thigh are covered?
        > Is there an issue with sewing 'across' the hammock? I thought I read
        > on this list, that many think it might cause a weakness to have all
        > those holes in the hammock body.

        another thought/question
        Why not just make the patch more of a pillow and sew it to a layer of
        noseeum or other material? Then just sew the pillow along the long
        sides of the hammock and NOT sew across the hammock body. I know it
        would add some weight but there would be less holes.

        Scott
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2006
          Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote: >
          .
          .
          . just sew the pillow along the long
          sides of the hammock and NOT sew across the hammock body. I know it
          would add some weight but there would be less holes.

          Scott

          i belive that`s another good way to add insulation. a little extra fabric, but it can be extreamly light fabric, & no sewing to the hammock body (except for the edges). ...tim

          tim garner

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2006
            I have done it, but I don't have a strong opinion on its durability. I
            mean, its a really tight square knot or two or three, so I think it
            will be okay.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
            > <zippydooda@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jeff, Have you thought of forgoing the backstitching entirely? You
            > can
            > > just tie a knot in the end.
            >
            > Hrm...hadn't thought of that. Have you done it? How durable is it?
            > I assume if it's on the underside of the hammock it should last a
            > while. Maybe I'll try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion.
            >
            > Jeff

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2006
              I think that the ends would sag and let in cold air, if I am reading
              the post right.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"

              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2006
                Scott Schroeder wrote:
                > Rick,
                > Thanks for sharing your design. I understand what you have written but
                > still have a few questions.
                >

                >>Several people have asked the same question, so here goes with the details.
                >>
                >>I built a simple Speer type hammock from 1.9 oz ripstop. The only
                >>differences are:
                >>- all stitching is with zigzag
                >

                > any particular reason?

                I have found that the nylon cloth stretches much more than polyester
                thread. When I sewed hammocks with straight stitching, the stitching
                sometimes began to tear the nylon cloth. Zigzag stitches allow the
                hammock to stretch without being constrained by the sewn edges.

                This even works in the body of the hammock, like sewing this patch on
                the hammock.

                >>- the hammock material is cut 48 inches wide to save weight and bulk.
                >>- the ends are hemmed (folded over 3 times) and a whipping applied with
                >>nylon the size of boot shoe lace. Over this, a slipped loop of
                >>polypropylene webbing or rope is slipped just on the hammock side of the
                >>whipping.
                >

                > I really like hanging the hammock with webbing using your knot. I am
                > using 1" webbing but considering 3/4" or 1/2" to save weight. Any
                > suggestions or should I just stick with the 1"?
                I know that 1 inch webbing is strong enough. I have not done enough
                experiments with 3/4 to know. I have used 5/16 inch yellow polypro
                hollow rope. I have used it enough to believe it will not break. It is
                lighter and has less bulk than the webbing.

                >>- a patch is applied to the center of the hammock, in which down is placed.
                >> -- the patch is constructed by cutting 1.1 oz ripstop to a size of
                >>48x 36 in.
                >> -- three darts are sewn at equal intervals on each side, each is 1
                >>inch long and is a Z shaped fold of material so that the length of the Z
                >> dart is 1 inch (This reduces three inches of the side to 1 inch.)
                >

                > I think I got this. Does this mean the final length is around 30" with
                > the darts (before your hem in the next step)?
                Width is 30 in and the length is 42 inches before the hem is sewn in.>

                >> -- a simple hem is then sewn around the outside of the patch with a
                >>zigzag stitch.
                >

                > Your hammock material was 48" before hemming, as is the patch. Are
                > your hems the same so the patch and hammock widths are the same? Or is
                > the patch a little wider? I ask because it seems important for when
                > the user is in the hammock.

                There is a gap of about 9-10 inches between the long edge of the patch
                and the long edge of the hammock. The patch is about 30 in wide and the
                hammock is about 47 inches wide.

                >> -- the patch is then sewn to the middle of the hammock body, both
                >>from end to end and from side to side.
                >

                > I assume this is probably off center a little so shoulders to
                > mid-thigh are covered?
                > Is there an issue with sewing 'across' the hammock? I thought I read
                > on this list, that many think it might cause a weakness to have all
                > those holes in the hammock body.

                It is dead center. This way the hammock can be used with either end as
                the head. When hung level, the patch edge is just above my shoulder and
                about 6-8 inches below my hip. When I bend my knees, the knee is inside
                the patch.

                I have not had any problem with sewing across the hammock. However, let
                me say that
                - I only sew one time... I make sure I don't have to rip the seam and
                sew a second time.
                - I make sure that I am not using a cutting needle (like that used for
                leather
                - I always use the zigzag stitch.

                Ed Speer took a look at my stitches on the hammock I used all last
                summer and could find no evidence that the stitches were pulling through
                the ripstop. He is a great inspector and I felt even better after he
                took a close look!

                >> -- when the patch has been sewn shut on all sides except for an
                >>opening about 4 inches long, 4 ounces of high loft down is emptied into
                >>the pouch. Then the pouch is sewn shut.
                >>- The hammock does have waterproof hammock tubes of a diameter about 4-5
                >>inches that is used to further protect the down from moisture while the
                >>hammock is being put up in the rain or is laid on wet ground.
                >>
                >>Because the pouch hangs from the bottom of the hammock, and the patch is
                >>physically larger than the hammock body it hangs from, even though the
                >>hammock stretches, the patch is not pulled up against the hammock and it
                >>does not squish the down.
                >

                > Okay, I see you mention that it is larger here. Please see my earlier
                > question on size.
                >

                >>The hammock body does stretch, and this causes the patch to stop looking
                >>like a bag of feathers hanging from the middle of the hammock and it
                >>looks much more like a rather even layer of insulation under the
                >>hammock. If the insulation gets a little settled around my shoulders, I
                >>have found it is easy to "smooth" a few more feathers from the bottom of
                >> the sack back toward my shoulders.
                >>
                >>I think this description might be even more help than a photo. If
                >>anyone else makes one of these, please let me know.
                >

                > Very cool thanks for sharing. I'll be trying this.

                You are very welcome Scott.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2006
                  jwj32542 wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                  > <zippydooda@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>Jeff, Have you thought of forgoing the backstitching entirely? You
                  >
                  > can
                  >
                  >>just tie a knot in the end.
                  >

                  > Hrm...hadn't thought of that. Have you done it? How durable is it?
                  > I assume if it's on the underside of the hammock it should last a
                  > while. Maybe I'll try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                  I generally do backstitch, but only about a half inch, and that only
                  once. I only backstitch along the long edges.

                  Rick
                • Scott Schroeder
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2006
                    > >>- a patch is applied to the center of the hammock, in which down is placed.
                    > >> -- the patch is constructed by cutting 1.1 oz ripstop to a size of
                    > >>48x 36 in.
                    > >> -- three darts are sewn at equal intervals on each side, each is 1
                    > >>inch long and is a Z shaped fold of material so that the length of the Z
                    > >> dart is 1 inch (This reduces three inches of the side to 1 inch.)
                    > >

                    > > I think I got this. Does this mean the final length is around 30" with
                    > > the darts (before your hem in the next step)?
                    >
                    > Width is 30 in and the length is 42 inches before the hem is sewn in.>

                    ohh...I missed that detail. Darts on all '4' sides. I had it only on 2 sides.

                    > > Your hammock material was 48" before hemming, as is the patch. Are
                    > > your hems the same so the patch and hammock widths are the same? Or is
                    > > the patch a little wider? I ask because it seems important for when
                    > > the user is in the hammock.
                    >

                    > There is a gap of about 9-10 inches between the long edge of the patch
                    > and the long edge of the hammock. The patch is about 30 in wide and the
                    > hammock is about 47 inches wide.

                    Oh...again I had visualized this wrong :)
                    I thought you the patch was turned the other way. Makes better sense now.
                    Did you ever consider making it the full width of the hammock (like 47X42")?
                    Or does that screw up the dynamics of the 'magic'? ? :)

                    > > I assume this is probably off center a little so shoulders to
                    > > mid-thigh are covered?
                    > > Is there an issue with sewing 'across' the hammock? I thought I read
                    > > on this list, that many think it might cause a weakness to have all
                    > > those holes in the hammock body.
                    >

                    > It is dead center. This way the hammock can be used with either end as
                    > the head. When hung level, the patch edge is just above my shoulder and
                    > about 6-8 inches below my hip. When I bend my knees, the knee is inside
                    > the patch.

                    gotcha.

                    > I have not had any problem with sewing across the hammock. However, let
                    > me say that
                    > - I only sew one time... I make sure I don't have to rip the seam and
                    > sew a second time.
                    > - I make sure that I am not using a cutting needle (like that used for
                    > leather
                    > - I always use the zigzag stitch.
                    >
                    > Ed Speer took a look at my stitches on the hammock I used all last
                    > summer and could find no evidence that the stitches were pulling through
                    > the ripstop. He is a great inspector and I felt even better after he
                    > took a close look!

                    Sounds good to me.
                    Thanks for the added explanation.
                    Scott
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9, 2006

                      >>There is a gap of about 9-10 inches between the long edge of the patch
                      >>and the long edge of the hammock. The patch is about 30 in wide and the
                      >>hammock is about 47 inches wide.
                      >

                      > Oh...again I had visualized this wrong :)
                      > I thought you the patch was turned the other way. Makes better sense now.
                      > Did you ever consider making it the full width of the hammock (like 47X42")?
                      > Or does that screw up the dynamics of the 'magic'? ? :)

                      Just makes it heavier. Also, the feathers don't fill the vertical
                      spaces very well.