Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks in Shenandoah NP?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2006
      Steve,

      I have hiked the entire length of the AT in Shenandoah NP. This park is
      much easier on hammock campers than Smoky Mountains NP.

      Each backcountry hiker or party of hikers must have a registration tag,
      which can be obtained at the north or south end of the park. The
      registration is free.

      The rules for camping are fairly straightforward:

      - No campfires except in the fire grates in at the shelters.
      - No camping near the shelters except at designated tenting spots
      - No camping within a certain number of feet of the trail or road or
      stream - It was not many feet - Maybe 100 feet... but it is on the tag
      from the registration.
      - There are billions of places where a hammock can be strung up in quiet
      and peaceful surroundings.

      Rick